Five More Minutes

❝ Charlotte interviews Neuvillette, Fontaine wants to know about its judge's morning routine. What no one will ever know is that the nation's goddess is actually more present in it than his words say. ❞

( WRITTEN BEFORE 4.1 )

ʚ ʚ ʚ

Neuvillette was occasionally inquired about his mornings, including that particular day. Although he did not take an active part in interviews, he had to admit that they always started with:

"Five more minutes..."

Only he would never admit he wasn't the one making the request.

Neuvillette yawned quietly as his goddess rested on his chest, refusing to get up. As it always took him a while to wake up, he embraced her again, caressing her soft hair and back.

After all, he wouldn't have a chance to do it again until they found a moment of intimacy during the day. He kissed her forehead and rested his chin on her head.

Focalors was not a morning person. All the energy she had throughout the day didn't come out of nowhere, let alone as soon as she awakened. He was the only one with the privilege of seeing her quieter moments.

"You always say that Focalors..." The goddess chuckled.

"And you always stay." She added sardonically, hugging him tighter.

With nothing to object to, Neuvillette would stay during this time, pampering his goddess. He made sure to give her all the attention she would not be able to receive later. Outside their chamber, they had a reputation to maintain.

"My mornings are slow. I wake up two hours before I go to work to make sure I have enough time." He explained tersely to Charlotte, the interviewer.

"That's very interesting and very you, Monsieur Neuvillette. I can tell you are a cautious man. What do you do after you've psyched yourself up?"

When Neuvillette convinced Focalors to start their day, it was time to go to the bathroom. Not alone, of course. Furina would throw the blanket over her shoulders and slowly follow him there. She always had that sleepy expression. Loud, noisy yawns escaped from her lips, emphasising her tiredness. The judge would wait for her to keep an eye on her routine.

"Hmm..."

"Hmm?"

As Neuvillette was going for the third button of his shirt, she felt Furina's presence on his back. That warm mass hugging him and resting her head on him.

He continued to unbutton his pyjamas. Meanwhile, his goddess took the loop of her wrist and began to manoeuvre with his long greyish hair.

"Bend down a little, Neuvi... I'll tie your hair up."

"After psyching myself up, I take a shower. Then I start getting dressed. It's where I usually take the longest."

"Oh, yes. At first glance, your robes appear to have numerous layers." Charlotte nodded and carefully watched them, making notes in her notebook.

In reality, he didn't take that long. The problem was when the shower didn't quite wake Focalors, and demanded to help to get dressed. The goddess took the opportunity to take one more nap while he finished. And Neuvillette still didn't object. In the end, after all those years, taking care of each other was a prominent habit... Even if Furina was the more dependent of the two.

With both dressed up, Focalors left one last detail in his hair. With the same bow for the shower ponytail, she did the same thing. Only now, instead of tying a high knot, he left it in the lower half.

"Done already?" Neuvillette questioned when he stopped feeling the pull.

"No. You have to bend down again."

And he knew from her insinuating tone she didn't mean the hairstyle anymore. Turning around and, with a faint smile, Neuvillette would lean down to kiss her. Also, depending on the day, it took more or less time for them to stop seeking each other's lips...

"Well, and then, little else. Lady Furina and I always breakfasted together. Then, after a few last visits to the toilet, we take our private transport to the Epiclesis Opera House. There, the trials scheduled for the day begin. Justice never rests."

He hoped Charlotte found it handy. It seemed to by the way she wrote swiftly on the paper. Her eyes sparkled as if it were compelling news. For Neuvillette, it was nothing more than his everyday life.

"Right! Sorry, I was busy writing. So you and Lady Furina have breakfast together. It's nice to know that Fontaine's most important figures get along this well! You've always had a close relationship, am I right?"

Close was an understatement. His relationship with Focalors went beyond sharing mornings and evenings. They had spent so many years side by side that their closeness was irremediable. Neuvillette couldn't put into words what Focalors meant to him. Their connection went further. He only knew that familiar warmth was only hers whenever she was with him. She was the only one he had ever felt that way with.

Furina was... everything he loved most.

"Indeed. But you must excuse me, Miss Charlotte. I will not discuss our relationship." That simple remark made her nod impetuously. For a journalist, she didn't seem to dare to question him further. Neuvillette wondered if he had said it too seriously or intimidated her.

"Of course! No problem, you've answered enough questions. Thank you very much! Now Fontaine's citizens will be able to get to know your most mundane side and of our goddess. I can assure you that the next edition of The Steambird will have you on the cover. Indeed!" He saw her raise her kamera. "May I snap a picture of you?"

Neuvillette looked down, checking that his clothes were pristine.

"Alright." He lightly preened his hair with his fingers and leaned on his cane. His expression remained unchangingly serious. "You can take the picture, young lady."

The next thing that sounded was the click of the camera.

ʚ ʚ ʚ

He was awakened by the alarm once again the following morning. Neuvillette turned it off and immediately resumed where he was – cuddling around Focalors' back. Her goddess didn't seem to have heard it, for her breathing was just as slow. He pressed his lips against her shoulder and smiled slightly.

"Five more minutes..." He muttered this time.