Drama Club

❝ A traumatic and diffuse event caused achromatopsia in Neuvillette. When he entered a new high school, colours came back to him thanks to a sophomore, but only from her. In the search for the reason why, our protagonist opens up to new experiences. ❞

ʚ ʚ ʚ

I. September

Blurred events of the past took away the colours of Neuvillette's life.

He had grown accustomed to seeing everything around him in black, white, and grey. He barely remembered what they used to look like. The shades were far beyond his reach, almost as far as his memories.

And in those moments, sitting in the auditorium front row, everything looked the same as it always had. Well, except for one thing:

That school was new.

In it, in principle, he would study the last three years of high school before going to university.

He had never been one to put down roots because of his father's mobile work. In fact, he did not expect that he would stay there the following year. As usual, forging relationships would bring nothing but bitter goodbyes.

With that monochromatic vision taking over his life, he finished listening to the headmaster's words.

"I conclude my speech. I will leave you with our drama club. Our brilliant star pupil, Furina de Fontaine, their leader, has insisted on receiving you."

A short girl came on stage. Neuvillette was spellbound by her for a few moments.

She walked with dignity as if she was used to the eyes on her, to being the centre of the stage. She took over the microphone and the attention of everyone present.

"Yes. Well, I'm better known as Focalors, my stage name." She explained briefly, smiling. "Welcome for another year! For those who don't know me, I'm the drama club leader, an exemplary sophomore and honour student, and a possible delegate for my class..."

With everything she said, he couldn't help but grow more curious about her. Neuvillette paid attention to the gestures as she spoke. He found it unusual how a girl of no more than seventeen could carry so many burdens on her shoulders and still give the audience her best smile.

A seed of admiration was planted in him — Sealed by what came next.

"Well, without further ado, our play will begin."

The lights dimmed to focus on the actors on stage. Neuvillette had always been fond of everything surrounding this world, but what caught his attention was...

From Furina's performance, colours came out.

It couldn't be.

He rubbed his eyes, narrowed them and frowned. He took a breath before looking back at Furina.

They were still there.

But only on her. Neuvillette could make out how her shade of hair didn't change much, but strands of blue were taking over the predominant white. Being in the front row, he could also make out her heterochromia.

Taken by her graceful movements and flawless performance, the colours continued to appear as he became immersed in the story she was telling. Neuvillette suddenly saw himself inside it — but still as a spectator.

He didn't know if it was real, nor what was happening. He could only see and feel Furina's play as if he were living it himself. Neuvillette took his time to record in his memory such a precious event and her real appearance.