Silent Waves

❝ Neuvillette and Furina walk through the five love languages to rebuild their relationship. ❞

ʚ ʚ ʚ

I. Receiving Gifts

Silence. Complete absence of sound. Neuvillette read that line in the dictionary over and over again.

In the silence, he lost himself. Since Furina left the Palais Mermonia, it abounded fully in his life. In his mornings. The commutes on private transport, the trials, his office, his room...

And the days went monotonously from then on.

He often found himself staring at the door, waiting for a visit that would not come. Also, at the empty balcony during the trials, waiting for a commentary acclaiming further entertainment.

Neuvillette felt a bittersweet and confused feeling in him. His feelings were even further out of reach. That emptiness in his chest, greater and persistent, was unbearable. He found out only one thing. One undeniable fact, after 500 years in his company:

He longed for Furina.

But he didn't wish to bother her, either. He had agreed to give her space until she got used to her new life as a human. A human. Mortal and life-limited. Thinking about it also caused storms to take over the nation frequently.

At least they talked recently, thanks to her courage to participate in a play again and return to the stage. Still, that interaction wasn't... Enough . Seeing her perform again, even secretly, only stoked those feelings within.

The image of her over 500 years kept replaying in his mind, playing on his heart when he remembered the situation he was currently in. Every time he looked at her, he couldn't help himself.

The least he could do then was to offer her a secret present — a hydro vision. Thereby, she could protect herself. And also, it was as if a part of him was still with her, even if Furina didn't know it.

Yet, feeling her occasionally due to their connection was scarce. Neuvillette could not manage to detach himself at all from her absence.

He was happy for her but, at the same time, vanishing from his life only fueled that absence in him and his surroundings. There wasn't enough time to process the death of a part of Furina, and then her leave.

He closed his eyes and the book in his hands. A sigh escaped from his lips along with a small tear sliding down his cheek. When it fell, a roar resounded outside, accompanied by incessant drops.

It was interrupted by a few taps on the wood of his door. He looked up wearily and tinged with red. He had no hope that it was her. Furina never knocked, after all. He cleared his voice and wiped his cheek with a neutral expression.

"Come in."

An aquamarine and white-furred Melusine, Sedene, entered. Though pushing the door with her foot delicately — she had her hands full. Neuvillette couldn't figure out what it was about from there.

"Monsieur Neuvillette, good afternoon. I have brought this tart."

As she walked, he could make out the strawberries on top of the cream clearer. They were glowing and vividly coloured, of the finest quality.

Neuvillette was curious, as he didn't ask for anything.

"I do not recall requesting it."

"It's for Lady Furina."