Part of Her World

❝ Neuvillette is a merman who has never felt that he quite fits in with the aquatic world. Despite this, he strictly follows the rules of no contact with the "demonic" humans. At least, until he saves a beautiful dancer before she drowns. ❞

Ariel — Neuvillette

Eric — Furina

Ursula — Me 🫡

Sebastian — Lyney

Flounder — Navia

Eels - Xingqiu and Yun Jin

(The Little Mermaid AU)

⚆⚆⚆

I. Part of Your World

Night fell on the aquatic kingdom. His siblings and mother were asleep in their respective rooms, but little did they know that the youngest son, Neuvillette, was taking a swim before falling asleep.

Peaceful and bubbling, it's how Neuvillette would describe the nocturnal sounds. There were hardly any creatures awake. Just him floating in the vast ocean. Lavender eyes fixed on the parting and hands on his chest.

He watched the surface of the water above him like a prohibition he always had faced. His fingers brushed the thin layer that separated him from the outside. Fragile and simple. It was so easy to cross it.

The stillness of the waters broke by a sound nearby. After sharpening his senses, he located that giant driftwood that sometimes sank into the depths, filled with objects that caught his attention. Colours also began to appear in what must be the sky.

"Ship..." He mused. Yes, that was what his siblings had called it.

And on the ships... There were humans. Demonic beings, according to his upbringing. He didn't see any up close, but the ones that rose from the ocean did not look like the irascible beings he imagined. Sometimes, they danced, and other times, they chatted on deck. They had never tried to disturb his kind.

Despite their contrary nature, he had the impulse to go up to observe them from a distance. Could that music be part of a ritual? What if they were evil? As a future protector of the ocean, he had to make sure.

Fluttering, he ended up just under the hull. Discreetly, he poked his head out gently. Long, close-cropped hair on either side of his face. Solemn yet curious expression. His gaze turned inevitably to the sky as vertical trails appeared.

After soft sounds, the colours painted the sky in beautiful and unique shapes. Was it, perhaps, the fruit of their magic?

However, what enchanted him was a dancing human close to his side of the ship.

She was moving gracefully on the wood, barefoot. Her hairstyle inevitably reminded him of a jellyfish. One so beautiful that it made him forget his natural enemy. A voice so beautiful it was almost alluring.

Neuvillette unconsciously shut out the ambient sounds. Like him, they were mute as he admired her. He heard another rumbling, this time in his chest. His heartbeat became deafening; it seemed to dance to her sound.

She ran upstairs, then gracefully descended them. In her right hand, she held a bowl wider at the top than the bottom. She raised it after each step and between. Sometimes, other humans joined. At other times, she alone was the queen of the moment.

He had always thought he had it all there. That this strange emptiness drowned in the ocean depths was just a normal, usual feeling. But seeing this human... He couldn't help but wonder how it would be like to be a part of her and her world.