ignite the light and let it shine

❝ It has been a long day for Furina. Neuvillette, remembering the current Lantern Rite in Liyue, decides to make an exception and invite his Archon to the geo nation. ❞

ᚓᚓᚓ

Neuvillette rarely left Fontaine between all his duties and the same could be said for Furina. Neither had time to stay for the whole lantern ritual, but... He noticed it was a long day for her, so, for once, he brought her to Liyue himself.

They had already talked about everything along the way. Eventually, they arrived with exactly one hour left to release the lanterns. With any luck, they wouldn't be stopped much along the way. Despite being Chief Justice and Archon, no one seemed to recognise them.

Well, there were masses of people, far more numerous than the last time they went together. They walked side by side, his heart at ease as he saw her more animated than she had been throughout the day.

"There are more people than I remember."

"Indeed. If it's alright with you, I can hold your hand so we don't get separated."

With a chuckle, his Archon smiled. "You think I'll lose sight of you as tall as you are? And Fontaine's clothes and your hair..."

"Perhaps I'll do in terms of height."

She made a dramatic expression, followed by a little grunt-like noise. Reluctantly, she took his gloved hand. For some reason, they both blushed despite it being a customary gesture.

After spending so much time together, domesticity was their speciality. Holding hands, playing with each other's hair, resting on each other... Holding her in his arms and being with her like this was comforting. It always was.

"I see that old age affects your vision. I'll take it, but only for your possible clumsiness."

Neuvillette frowned softly, though deserved.

"I fear I am still younger than you, Lady Furina."

"Even worse!"

When Furina laughed, he couldn't help but smile faintly. He stifled a chuckle, even. Yes, she was recharged again. She was her usual Archon — the one with the facade she made everyone see.

"Oh... Don't worry, Neuvi. I'll have the blacksmith make you some glasses so you can see me better. It would be unacceptable if you couldn't enjoy my beauty and grandeur!"

"Oh, that is certainly something I admire daily. Glasses are not necessary to see your undoubted beauty. It would be disappointing if one day my vision became blurry, and I failed to appreciate you properly."

Furina seemed to be distracted by that comment. In addition to her flushed cheeks and startled expression, she bumped into a passer-by.

"Sorry!"

"Apologies..."

"You're losing your faculties, Mr. Zhong... Furina?"

"Huh?"

"Do you know them, Lady Furina?"

They were two people of similar height to theirs, respectively. From initial appearances, they seemed to be in personality as well.

"N-No..."

"Not yet! Let's have a drink together and get to know each other." Said the braided young man. Would he be old enough to drink? "Come on, let's go."

"Venti."

"Oh, c'mon! Don't Venti me, Mr. Zhongli!"

"Eh..." Furina looked at him imploringly. He didn't need to hear anything. It was only natural that she had been recognised. As her right-hand man, he solemnly stepped between her and the stranger.