Letting free- Part 1

"No one loses anyone, because no one owns anyone. That is the true experience of freedom: having the most important thing in the world without owning it"- Paulo Coelho quotes in his book 'Eleven Minutes'.

Though the book might not be everyone's cup of tea, it does have a very important message to the readers. If you have been a through some books of Paulo Coelho, you would know that he is, in fact quite religious. His books like "By the River Piedra I sat down and Wept", "The Pilgrimage", and even this book has certain instances where he discusses about spirituality. 

It might sound odd, for those of you know what the book explores about, but let me reiterate that this book will not be for everyone. In order to understand the book, the protagonist's ideologies and her perspective, you need to have a very open mindset, which is again, not an easy task. To be very honest, it didn't quite resonate with me as well when I was just halfway through it. But as I kept reading, I was drawn to the protagonist's firmness and frankness, sidelining her choice of a career. I loved how she was clear about what she wanted from life, how she made 'mistakes' in the way, learnt from them and never made herself feel bad for her choices nor did she let anyone do so. 

Another aspect of this book that caught my interest was the quote that I started this piece of writing with. And I must say, that it  took me through a series of realizations, made me rethink, and  reinterpret in a way that is actually relevant in today's world. 

Since the dawn of civilization, humans have always had this innate nature to possess power, to control someone, more often whom they love with their whole heart. And that is exactly what we see in relationships- one partner dominating over the other. We feel that the person we love, is ours, or rather should be ours. We start to exercise our possession over them gradually, unknowingly. In the name of love, we end up wanting to 'own' the person we love, which is nothing but a selfish motive. And as I always say, love has to be selfless. If it's not, it is not love.
Here, I am not going against anyone but what I am trying to imply is that we can enjoy the beautiful feeling of love, without having the need to 'own' our beloved. What we need to do, is simply let them free, free like a kite and if they truly love you, they will still be rooted to you, much like the string of the kite. And this freedom, not only frees them but you as well, from the devilish feelings of jealousy, anger, distrust and selfishness. As Paulo Coelho says, you can still have the most important thing in the world without owning it, and this is what makes this beautiful.

Yes, this line has left an everlasting imprint on both my heart and soul, and I want it to assimilate deep within me as long as I stay in the mortal world. 
The book itself, though not the most appealing in the beginning, does give us many a reason to harp on the lessons life has taught us. 

I remember someone asking us, whether our perspective to look at life (or 'soch', however you put it) has changed. I didn't have an answer to that then, but now I do. I did not have a change in my 'judgmental mindset', I could have never continued reading the book. And I am, indeed proud of myself to have been able to sideline the protagonist's choices in life and look at the positive aspects of the book, and imbibe them in my life.

Thank you for reading.