Letting Free- Part 2

We all want to be close to our friends, family and partners. We love to spend time with them and to be with them. But what would happen if your craving for their time turns into obsessiveness and ends up being toxic? 
Let me take you through a simple, short story that I came across in the book 'Eleven Minutes' to explain what I was trying to say,

(Once upon a time, there lived a bird on a high branch of a tree. The tree belonged to a little girl's family. She watched the bird everyday with fascination. She loved to see it fly in the open air, exploring the nature. She used to run behind the bird when it was on its flight and followed it everywhere. Her love soon turned into obsession, and she wanted to have the bird to herself. She had a fear in heart- What if the bird wanted to visit far off places, and left her behind? She was filled with envy, envy for the bird's ability to fly. Then, she felt alone when the bird flew higher and higher, farther and father.
And She thought, 'I would set a trap. Next time the bird appeared, it would never be able to leave again.' The bird, who was also in love, returned the following day, fell into the trap and was put in a cage. She looked at the bird everyday. There he was, the object of her passion, and she showed him to her friends, who said: 'Now you have everything you could possibly want.'
However, there was a strange transformation in the heart of the girl. Now that she had the bird with herself, and didn't need to woo it, she began to lose interest. The bird, unable to fly and express the true meaning of his life, began to waste away and his feathers began to lose their gloss; he grew ugly; and the woman no longer paid any attention, except by feeding him and cleaning out his cage. One day, the bird died. The woman felt terribly sad and spent all her time thinking about him. But she did not remember the cage, she thought only of the day when she had seen him for the first time, flying contently amongst the clouds.)

If only she knew, what drew her closer to the bird was his freedom, his wings that let him fly contently and energetically. If only we knew, that we don't love the person with us, we are in love with his/her personality without which his/her mere presence has no meaning. However, what we end up doing is, caging him/her, trapping him/her in the tangles of life and restrict his/her freedom. This just lets his/her personality shed off, taking away the only aspect of him/her that we fell in love with in the first place. Irony, right? But concerning too. 

Possessiveness and obsessiveness even in the slightest of way, is deceiving and dangerous. They are often confused with love, which is a downright misinterpretation. In love, you don't possess anyone and that freedom is what trust is built upon. When you are willing to give this freedom to both you and your loved one, you grow. You grow closer, as better individuals, and isn't that the sole purpose of loving someone?