Chapter -12.

Days rolled by and every one got busy with their life. As said earlier, Maya is a smart and very talented girl. Though she was a non local student, she got adapted to the new place quickly. She faced quite some problems like food, language and climate but she got slowly used to it. She made some friends and her enthusiasm and sportive spirit  attitude earned teachers favorites.    For School Olympiad and other talent competitions, Maya was the first preference. This didn't go well with some of her classmates. Being a non local student and a hosteler, she was bullied by some students in the campus and hostel. She was made to do assignments for the seniors, laundry work and also room cleaning. 

Maya was patient enough and took every humiliation. But, she was not able to take more disgrace when they called her an orphan. She cried more that day. She needed someone to comfort her. The first person who came to her mind was Dharani but she knew that her Didi was working in some other city and she couldn't come immediately. 

That night, she called Kasturi and spoke  to her  for a long time.

Kasturi:
“ Hello Maya. How are you, my child?.
How are your studies going ? At what time should we come to pick you  up this Friday?”.

Maya :
“ Grandma, they… They  are bullying me. .. They… are.. are .. mak. Making me do .. the.. sweeping…, laundry… grandma… I can't.. I .. help me grandma..”

Kasturi got tensed listening to Maya's cries. She started getting worried about her. She was well aware of Maya's nature. She was a lively and bubbly girl. She never complained about anything or asked for anything. Now, she was crying as if something miserable happened. This didn't let Kasturi rest at peace. She asked Maya about what actually happened to her.

Maya narrated the incidents that happened to her and how she tolerated all humiliations for so long. She said that she didn't  want to trouble the elders. She said that she  protested their taunts and  when she was about to get physical (fight) with them but they called her an orphan. 

After listening to Maya, Kasturi had tears in her eyes. Kids these days are not at all sportive. They could not tolerate the success of their fellow classmates. Selfishness and jealousy are only in their minds. 

Poor Maya went through so much in her small age and she was not there physically to console her. 

Kasturi:
“ Don't cry my dear. You should not  be weak. Your weakness will earn them a chance to bully you more. Who said you are an orphan? Am I not you Grandma? You have your grandparents. You have your Dharani didi, who  treats you like your own sister. And an uncle who is like a father. You have a family. You don't need to feel insecure about anything.  Those fools are jealous of you.Don't let your insecurities win over you. This will make you step back in your career. 
Shall I come and take you home. Wait.  I will tell you Grandpa. We will come now”.

Maya:
“ No Grandma. Don't tell Grandpa. He will beat them to pulp or punish them in his military style. I was overwhelmed with emotion when they called me an orphan. After talking to you I am ok now. You take care. Now, I answer them in my way if they try to break me or humiliate me again. 
Take care Grandma. Convey my regards to Grand pa. Bye.”

Kasturi:
“ Take care dear. If they bother you again, don't hesitate to call us immediately. We will come to your rescue in no time and remember. You stand for yourself. Don't give anyone a chance to trouble you. You do whatever you want, your grandparents will take care of everything. Is that ok”.

Maya:
“ OMG! Grand ma. If I listen to you, I might become a rebel”.

Kasturi:
“ Rebellion is not a crime. If  you have to stand for yourself, then being a rebel will only work. Now go. Take rest dear”.