XXVIII

Hanahaki:
A fictional illness in which a person bearing an unrequited love coughs up flower petals until they die or their feelings are reciprocated.

×××××

“I must go now,” Yoongi said, glancing at his watch. And also ignoring Jimin’s remark he said,“You. Better not do something you’ll regret. She’s a sick person, keep that in mind.”

“You’re getting me wrong, again,” Jimin replied. “You’ll regret it.”

Jimin watched him go away, putting his phone to his ear again. Probably it was Hae-soo. He let the corner of his mouth twitch. “Hypocrite.”

Hands in his pocket, Jimin began walking towards the play area. Deserted and voiceless, save for a few kids with their parents, the play area looked like a bleak barren land. And on that barren land, like a lotus growing despite its harsh conditions, he saw me at a distance, intently gazing at the kid on the swing.

When he came closer, I directed my attention to him. “Hey,” I said. “All good?”

“Yup,” he said. “I have something for you.”

I raised a brow.“Something for me?”

“Yes. Close your eyes.”

Instead they went wide. “Close my eyes?”

“Just do it,” Jimin said. “I'm not going to throw you in a ditch.”

“Who the hell puts it like that! Now I’m even scared to close them.”

Jimin only stared. And I rolled my eyes. “Fine.”

He waved in my face to make sure I wasn’t peeking.

“It better be something good,” I warned when he took my hands. “Or you're going to get a ladle on your butt again.”

“You talk so much, Ajhumma,” Jimin said as he made me walk with my eyes closed. “Now turn.”

I did. He let go of my hands. “Now slowly, come back.” I did. “Sit.”

As I sat, he put my hands on the chains.

I gasped. “A swing!” And guessed happily, opening my eyes. Jimin was in front of me, smiling. “How did you know…” I began and realised how he knew that. “You were...”

“Don’t count the kernels, just eat the mangoes,” he said and got behind me, grabbing the chains. “Enjoy now.”

That was it, he gave the chains a tug. And let me go oscillating back and forth slowly. At the end of that oscillation when my back reached him, he gave a harder push to my swing, setting it into an even bigger oscillation.

I smiled, letting the breeze touch my face and flutter my hair. Jimin continued pushing my swing, my heart growing fond of the way my feet were off the ground for a few seconds before coming an inch apart from touching the ground.

“Jimin, higher,” I nudged.

“You have no idea how heavy you are, do you?” he said, giving a stronger shove.