XXX

Hanahaki:
A fictional illness in which a person bearing an unrequited love coughs up flower petals until they die or their feelings are reciprocated.

×××××

"I'm glad," he hushed and rested his cheek into the pillow again as I got out of bed, an expression as mirthful as a lark on my face, oblivious to the beeping phone on the dining table.

To my boss's messages.

I, in my delectation, didn't realise the headache of my hangover. It was only when Jimin said so, I recognised the dull throbs.

"I'll make you some soup," Jimin said. "You have some rest."

I argued some, but he wouldn't let me cook. So I sat at the table waiting and having the soup while within an hour Jimin was ready for work.

"Why are you going?" I said. "You're tired too."

He gave me a sad smile."I want to rest, but today's important."

"Oh. Then when will you be home?" I asked.

"As soon as I can," Jimin said, tying his shoelace. Picking up his briefcase, he was going to leave, when he stopped, his back to me.

"Did you forget some—"

My words were cut away by his embrace. His hand gently pressed into my hair, his other hand holding me close by the waist. "I realised. I never said thank you."

My beating heart against his, calmed down as I put my hands around him, touching my chin to his shoulder. He smelled earthy; he had put on his cologne today, which on most days he forgot.

"You didn't have to. Your eyes said it all," I said.

"But still. Thank you," Jimin said. "I appreciate your efforts for me, Y/n."

He drew away from me, leaving my heart warm and mushy for more.

I couldn't have meant that, could I?

"I'll be back soon," he assured with a squeeze to my hand, before climbing down the flight of stairs.

~~~

An hour after Jimin had left, my phone beeped. I unlocked it too see the notification:

Jungkook: Ms Ahn, it's been more than two months since you took a leave.

I threw the phone on the couch. Why now? When all was going so well?

The device beeped again.

Reluctantly, I held it. The text was from my boss again.

Jungkook: Y/n. You owe me an answer. When are you resuming work?

I dared not open the message. I could do nothing but be reminded of the past, of the fruitless tries and the ineffectual avoidance towards him. And then Rachel's conversations. The realisation that he could never reciprocate my love. And yet he was calling me back. What more was left there for him to give to me? More pain, more damage, more traps? What reason was there to want me to be back so badly?