Eleven: Daddy Bread Baker? seriously?

Zoya

EXACTLY FOUR WEEKS after packing up my life, leaving the safety of Dhara's couch, and taking up residence in Nani's home, I welcomed my first houseguests.

Dhara, Priya, Tina, and Sveta rolled down the gravel lane on Friday afternoon and they tumbled out of Priya's hybrid SUV like they'd been trapped in the car for hours. Tina charged into the house as she yelled, "Bathroom, please," and Sveta followed her, two reusable shopping bags in hand as she said, "Refrigerator, please."

Priya Pushed her sunglasses up, surveying the house and land in that quiet, all-seeing way of hers. "So this is your dowry."

"It's not a dowry," I said, rushing over to hug her.

"Mehr?"

"No" I mentally slapped my forehead.

Dhara stepped in front of her, arms outstretched. "As I live and breathe, Miss Siddique, you are a sight for sore eyes."

She crushed me in a fierce embrace, teetering from side to side as she hummed happily. "And you look alive! At least mostly alive. And you have a farm!"

We separated enough for Dhara to wave a hand at my sundress.

"And you're wearing clean clothes. It looks like your hair has been washed and what's this? Do I spy a bit of bronzer?"

"That's real," I said. "Bronzer straight from the sun."

"You've been outdoors," Dhara crowed. "Who knew mountain air could be so good for a girl?"

Priya elbowed her way in for a hug. "You look good, sweetheart. I'm glad you've been able to get back to yourself." She gestured to the fields and gardens beyond the house. "This is adorable."

"Yeah, we had no idea there were such cute towns around here." Tina said as she came down the front steps. "Sorry about the entrance. You know my bladder is ridiculous."

"It really is, T," Sveta said, joining us outside. "She was not going to make it down another bumpy old road." She tucked her silky black hair behind her ears and glanced around. "Zoe, with love, where the fuck are we right now?"

"This is my step-grandmother's Tea garden."

"And isn't it charming." Tina leaned in close. "Do you want to come home yet? Because we can pack you up today and forget this ever happened."

I laughed, shook my head. I'd missed my people. "Is this a rescue mission?"

Dhara gave an exaggerated roll of her eyes. "What ever happened to playing it cool, y'all?" She draped an arm around my shoulders. "If you want to be rescued, we'll rescue you. If you're still cosplaying as a small-town pahadi girl, we'll play along with you for the weekend." She motioned to her trackpants. "I came dressed for my part."

Priya set a wide-brimmed floppy hat over her white-blonde hair. "Me too."

Sveta, dressed in slim black jeans and a black tank top, crossed her arms over her chest. "I'll be the person who spends the next three days in search of decent coffee. Thank god I brought a backup cold brew."

"And I brought blondies," Tina added.

"They'll go perfectly with the margarita slushies and chicken I made." There was no need for me to add to this by noting it was the first meal I'd prepared since moving in.

"Is that a tire swing?" Dhara asked, pointing toward one of the giant old
trees.

"And a hammock?" Priya asked.