𝟏𝟎. ❙𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐢𝐧𝐯𝐚𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧

❛ 𝑴𝑼𝑹𝑫𝑬𝑹 𝑯𝑶𝑼𝑺𝑬 ❜
════════◅∘≼≽∘▻════════
•☼.⭒✻❙  𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐈𝐍𝐕𝐀𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 ❙✻⭒.☼•

❝ 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐞𝐢𝐫𝐝

❝ 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐞𝐢𝐫𝐝. ❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

𝑯𝑬𝑨𝑽𝑬𝑵 𝑨𝑵𝑮𝑬𝑳
𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒓𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒆𝒓𝒂

❛ i'm in love ❜

        𝑅𝑂𝑆𝐸𝑀𝐴𝑅𝑌, 𝑊𝐻𝑂 𝑊𝐴𝑆 𝑁𝑂𝑊 returning to school, had sent in her college applications early just as a joke. She sent in applications to incredibly prestigious schools to see if she could get in, but she'd never actually attend. Rosemary hadn't told her family or Tate about this, it was more private, so she was at the mailbox herself collecting her college letters.

They had just been sent back to her in the two weeks she had been at school, but while she was gathering them, Constance, the next door neighbour, had gone outside and stumbled upon her. "Hello, sweet girl."

"Lady." Rosemary greeted without once looking over to Constance. She simply grabbed the third envelope and held them stacked on her forearm.

Constance scolded, "That's no way to address your elders."

"Sorry. Could we start over?" Rosemary held the envelope down at her side as she looked to Constance with an innocent and regretful look in her eyes. Constance flourished her hand as an indication for her to go ahead, to which her snark returned, "The fuck do you want, lady?"

"You know, pretty girls should never curse. Fix up your hair, perfect your clothing, my...you could be perfect." Constance complimented and corrected viciously with that signature southern accent. Rosemary saw no compliment or positive aspect of this, so she responded with sarcasm, "Gee, thanks, random woman I've never met."

"Constance." She introduced herself as she held out her hand. Rosemary shook it and did the same, "Rosemary."

"That's a gorgeous name. Say, Rosemary, you seem like a strong and capable young girl. Would you mind helping me move some furniture in my home? I was going to ask your father, but perhaps we can get to know each other?"

"Doesn't the whole 'stranger danger' shit apply here?"

"Rosemary, I wouldn't hurt such a beautiful dove such as yourself. Why, you remind me of myself when I was young. Although, I didn't appear so...well, you know what you are." Constance did have an ulterior motive here. She was curious to know the girl her son was so crazed about. She wanted to know what drew Tate to Rosemary so deeply.

"You're really weird, Constance. I like it. I'll help you out." So far, Constance saw no appeal to Rosemary. She knew her son was deeply infatuated with this girl, but she couldn't understand why. Tate was the only of her children that was a model of physical perfection, and much like Rosemary, there's no secret that she's visually beautiful, but both their minds were sick. The things they imagined, what they're both capable of. Tate had already proven his insanity, which Rosemary was unaware of, but she too, with the right push, could go off the edge.

Rosemary had gone next door to Constance's home where she brought her college and university applications with her. She had simply set the envelopes down on a coffee table, having already spotted a few boxes piled up. Addy, Constance's daughter, was sat down on the couch already, to which Constance joined her.

"You can just start unpacking whatever, it doesn't matter to me." Constance informed as she lit a cigarette. Rosemary pulled a knife out of her back pocket since, after the incident in her home, she's been carrying one with her at all times. Rosemary usually has one anyway, but she was taking extra precautions.

As she cut the tape open on one of the boxes, Addy, who Rosemary had met due to the many times she's broken into the Harmon house, saw the envelopes on the table. "Wow. Oxford and Harvard? Those are really smart schools."

"I have an IQ of a hundred and forty. My mother had me tested." Rosemary informed as she began to pull parts out of the box. Constance did have to make a small comment about her appearance again. "All that brain and you still choose to dress like that."

Much like how her parents treat her, Rosemary would never care how someone acknowledges her physical appearance. "I like how I look. Most people think I look like a dirtbag, but I don't really care."

"I like your clothes." Addy complimented.

"Thanks, Addy."

"That's admirable, you know. But schools such as these won't simply accept any smart child." Even if Constance was being a little harsh, she was telling the truth. Unlike Ben and Vivien, Constance pointed out the realism of the situation Rosemary was putting herself in rather than fuelling her with false hope. Rosemary respected that. "I only applied to them as a joke, but I'm actually quite a model student. I'm in the twelfth grade when I should be in the eleventh, there's my IQ, I took ballet for twelve years, which is apparently something to brag about, and I've done extensive studies in criminology. I mean, I beat the shit out of people and never go to class, but universities are willing to overlook that if they can brag about me."

"I want to be a ballerina!" Addy exclaimed to her mother, but Constance simply tapped her nose and smiled while simultaneously insulting her, "You have to be pretty to be a ballerina."

Constance then turned to Rosemary, who felt a small pain in her heart when she saw the disappointment and hurt expression on Addy's face. "Now, Rosemary, I'd love to see you dance sometime."

Rosemary nodded her head. "I'll get my pointe shoes one day and show you. I haven't danced in a few months though."

"Well, I'm sure your grace and beauty will remain flawless. I'm sure that attracts some male attention." Constance was desperately trying to learn more about this girl. Even when Tate was around her, he was closed off. Constance had never seen him have such care for anyone and anything. The closest was his bloodlust. But love will always conquer the need to kill.

"Not really. Guys kind of think I'm weird." Rosemary responded to her question, but Constance knew she wasn't telling the whole story. "There is no man in your life that you care for?"

Rosemary fought off a small smile that was forming as she began to organise the different parts of the new chair she was about to build. "...I suppose there's one."

"What's he like?" Addy asked, hoping that she could do something far more normal for a change; talk about boys with a friend. She never got opportunities like this.

There was a boy that had immediately popped into mind. Rosemary had found herself thinking about him far more often, wishing for her constant company, but she hadn't admitted this to herself or anyone else. "Well, he's kind. He always puts me ahead of himself. He saved my life the other day, which is obviously admirable. But he's also charming and funny. He just gets me like no one else does. And he really likes me, he doesn't want to change me like everyone else."

"And his name?" Constance asked.

"Tate. Tate Langdon."

❝ 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐡𝐮𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐬 𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐡𝐮𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬. ❞

- 𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒑𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈

❘ ❙ ❚ ❚ ❙ ❘