Hand It Over (Gamzee X Reader)

"Hand it over."

Gamzee rolls his red eyes, the puffiness of them quite obviously showing what he likes to partake in. He smiles lazily at the person in front of me, handing over the joint in his hand, the ash sprinkling over their palm. Quickly, Y/n puts out the joint and stashes it into a little jar they have specifically for Gamzee's joints. 

"You can't keep getting high before class," They scold lightly, sealing it tightly. "You know the teachers can smell it off you. I'm surprised none of them turn you in."

"The perks of having a bitchy dad, I guess," His gravelly voice makes Y/n roll their eyes. They hand the boy a water bottle before the bell rings. "I'll be gettin' that back after school, yeah?"

"You do after every day, right?"

Gamzee gives a bright smile and pats Y/n on the head, making them frown. He grabs his backpack and waves goodbye to the disgruntled person, ready to get through his final classes of the year. High school can go suck ass in his opinion, but he might as well try passing the final classes so he can get the fuck out of his dad's house. Maybe he and Y/n could live together while going to school together. At least they have their shit together, enough to get him to try to stay sober through this hell scape. He sighs and chugs the water bottle before heading into his class, only a minute late.

"Hand it over."

Y/n makes grabby hands at the joint once more placed between his fingers, not even lit yet. Gamzee groans but forks it over, giving them a mock pout. Y/n pays no mind and gets started on their homework. Their room has everything a perfect student could want, with the latest textbooks bought by their parents and every type of mechanical pencil imaginable. Gamzee has seen them organize each one only to mess with a few to see them get riled up. He grins at the actions of the other, them having gotten engrossed in the text on early art in Mesopotamia, a subject far less entertaining and pretty than Y/n. He stares at them until they notice eyes on them, making him have to turn to his government and economy homework. 

"Do you need help with something, Gamz?"

"Nah, don't worry 'bout me," He says in a light tone. "Just getting my head together."

Y/n nods and continues writing notes for their upcoming test. Gamzee hunkers down and starts on his own, cursing out his teachers in his head while a small pink blush starts to form across his cheeks. He could stare at Y/n for hours on end if he didn't have to do this damn homework.

"Hand it over."

Gamzee, used to the routine now, hands it over to see it go into the jar and into Y/n's pocket once more. 

"Don't you ever get fuckin' tired of doing this?" He grumbles, wiping the sleep from his eyes. The two best friends are at the Senior Sunrise, where all the seniors of the graduating class of 2XXX go to watch the first sunset of their final year at this dreaded high school. "All the school spirit, the teachers, the homework, everything?"

"I can't not be tired of it," They say, chuckling. "I promised that I would be the best for my parents and I have to be that. I have to be perfect, you know that, Gamz."

"Not always," He insists, stretching out on the picnic blanket Y/n so thoughtfully packed for the two of them. He forgot he was going to bring something to lie down on, and as always. Y/n predicts it to happen and makes things go great for the both of them. It's a balanced relationship of a forgetful pot head and a resilient goody-two-shoes. "I fuck up all the time."

"Yes," They say, resting on the palms of their hands and looking up. "But that's what makes you interesting. I'm interesting in the fact that I have the periodic table memorized."