4. Arrival

Enara's feet ached as she hurried onward, the sounds of rushing water her only companion. 

She'd been following the creek all day. It was hardly a creek anymore, gaining speed and depth as she trudged on. It was a river now, carving its way forcefully through the dense vegetation. The sun was bowing lower with each passing minute, horizon threatening to unleash the full moon. Enara could only pray she'd make it in time.

All she could do was trust that she'd know when she arrived at the right place. If her message truly was sent by the Gods, her destination would be mighty enough to make itself known.

Around a bend she went, and another, after another. The sinking sun deepened into shades of orange, then scarlet. Enara was running now. Sweating, panting, and unwilling to slow.

Finally, the thick treeline gave way, and under the reddening sky, Enara saw it: 

The place she was meant to find. 

She fought to catch her breath, gazing up at the awe-inspiring sight.

A vast castle, somewhat in ruin, stretching high towards the heavens. Adorned with vines and flora, as if it was as natural to the forest landscape as the trees themselves. 

Parts of the outer walls were even woven through with trees; stone and bark somehow married in perfect harmony. The darkening skies reminded Enara she didn't have long to make her final decision: Stay here and face the night, or seek shelter within those castle walls.

Enara bounded over fallen trunks and roots, trying to calm her racing heart as she approached. She crossed the river, taking care not to slip on the lichen-slick rocks. 

The eerie, calm drip drip dripping of moisture echoed around her as she entered the outermost arched tunnel, making her way inside the castle walls.

She tip-toed over the cold, wet stone, climbing stair after stair until she could go no further. She'd reached yet another towering wall, impassable as far as she could see to either side.

Enara was nearly readying herself to pray- or start climbing- when suddenly she heard a monstrous rumbling from behind her. 

To her utter horror, she turned to see the tunnel through which she'd come closing its great mouth. Stone rose from the earth, jagged faces shifting and meeting one another until the outside world was gone. She was trapped between two of the outer walls.

Enara could no longer see the horizon, but the sky above her had grown black. The sun was surely gone. She paced along the great wall, trying to find any kind of crack, any imperfection that might offer her a hold. But she soon realized there was no way in heaven or hell she'd be able to climb it.

"By the Great Mercy of the Gods," she called, her voice echoing eerily back at her, "I pray for safe passage. I've come to you, as you asked," She paused, listening for any kind of response. She crept silently forward, still in search of stairs, of an opening, of anything at all.

There was nothing.

"I beseech you," She begged, "grant me safety from the rising moon, from the terrors of this night,"