18. Bargaining

"I'm sorry, she did what?"

"Stabbed him,"

"With?"

"My dagger,"

"How?"

"We were... busy,"

Rhedyn smirked from his armchair, book in hand. He lightly shook his head. "He probably deserved that,"

"A bit," Dren agreed.

"I think for now it's best if one of us keeps an eye on her," 

Enara wished they wouldn't speak of her as if she wasn't standing right there. Dren lightly nudged her closer to Rhedyn, guiding her by the small of her back. "I don't have faith she won't at least try to leave,"

Rhedyn nodded, seeming to agree, finally turning his gaze on her.

"You'll only get hurt trying to do that. Those walls are not for climbing," He almost looked sympathetic to her cause.

These men were out of their minds, Enara decided. Unfortunately they were probably right. She would try, if she ever got the chance. She was perturbed they gave her ambition the credit it deserved. Escape would be easier if they underestimated her...

"I'll take my shift," Rhedyn laid his book aside, standing. He eyed her in warning as he moved his knife from its waist-sheath, to another one near his shoulder blade. "Don't get any clever ideas,"

Enara smiled sweetly. "I can't reach that high anyways,"

"Just a little thing, but so much anger for her size," Rhedyn smiled, "We'll have fun together today, won't we,"

Before Dren left them to it, he drew close to Rhedyn, lowering his voice to utter something in secret. Enara strained her ears, tried to read his lips, but he was turned away, and she couldn't hear a thing. With that, he'd strode from the room.

Enara could only watch him as he left.

Rhedyn offered to hand select a book for Enara, but she refused.

"You shouldn't be offering your prisoner leisure activities, aren't you trying to make her suffer?" She crossed her arms stubbornly, her words only half in jest. She refused to just play along as if nothing was wrong.

"You're not a prisoner, Enara, you're our guest," His voice was gentle.

"So I'm free to go whenever I please, then, as a guest ought to be able to do?"

He didn't answer at first.

"Later, when you learn how to replicate our strengths, and the Forest is no longer a danger to you... if you still wish to leave, I don't see why anyone here would object,"

Enara frowned. "And how many years is that going to take?"

Rhedyn's silence was answer enough. Far too many, apparently.

Enara paced, finding herself pulled to the window. She looked upon the garden grounds, knowing they were as far as she'd be allowed to wander, for who knows how long.