8. Among Wolves

Enara stepped carefully along the stone, following the Gods to the edge of the moonlit balcony.

Klaus turned, holding her gaze for a moment. He hesitated, looking as though he was about to offer her reassurance. But he didn't say a word, just continued into the night air.

The outer walls were quite near on this side of the palace, and from this height, Enara could easily see beyond them.

The terrain was even for a distance, before dropping sharply. There was a jagged cliff, and a dense forest below, all illuminated by the bright light of the moon. Titanic mountains loomed on the horizon. But Enara's gaze never really made it that far.

There, on the edge of the cliff face, movement stirred.

Shadowy beings, seeming to lay in wait, peering up at Enara and her companions.

Hundreds of eerie eyes, reflecting the palace's crimson torchlight. They extended as far as the eye could see along the cliff's edge. Creatures, much like her messenger by the creek. Mixed with all parts of men and beast, some far stranger than others.

At a distance, it was a bit hard to make them out. But their silhouettes were anything but natural. Enara fought the urge to take a couple steps back, reminding herself she stood between Gods.

"They can't come any closer," Zephan assured her, "We have protections in place,"

She couldn't imagine what those protections could be, besides Dren and Rhedyn, lurking out in the night. Perhaps they were protection enough, Enara could only hope.

"What are they all doing here?" She tried to hide the fear creeping into her voice.

"They're attracted to the energy we emit," Darius explained. 

"They tend to gather in increased numbers during the full moon... but you'll find them scattered all across this realm. Anytime, day or night. They've always been around you, even when you couldn't see them,"

Enara looked for answers on his moonlit face, but he merely shifted his gaze to Klaus.

"I kept them cloaked," Klaus said, "Hidden through an enchantment. We thought it would be better if you were introduced to the creatures of this realm slowly,"

The reasons were obvious.

"Cloaked," Enara mused. Hidden from her, even though they'd always surrounded her. The thought was chilling. "Your eyes... is that why they were so dark before?"

Klaus was looking out into the night, but he gave a small nod. He didn't bother to give her any more details.

Enara was beginning to get a better idea of just how powerful her Gods truly were. An entire forest of beasts, cloaked... it must've been no small feat. And yet Klaus had never shown an ounce of discomfort.

Furthermore, her Gods had been protecting her. Just as she'd felt in her heart. 

Shielding her from the oddities of their lands, until she was slightly more prepared to face them.

Enara found herself in a bit of a daze as they all made their way back inside.