book trailer: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/i4kdVj6iOWA

 𝚃𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐,

 Our house held a party that night, only days before the ball. Imelda and I had a rocky relationship, but when it came to nights such as this, we'd usually sit with one another in a back corner somewhere - hoping that no one would speak to us at any point. Miles couldn't attend, since he was a Ravenclaw and all. Poppy was in her dorms, most likely studying magical creatures. Ominis was here, but he sat in his typical area right beside the lake view windows. Though, this time he had dark glasses on, covering his eyes. Unusual, considering it was dark out.

 Imelda pointed her dainty finger over to the other side of the room.

 "Do you see that there? Priscilla is flirting with that god awful sixth year boy."

 Squinting, I glanced over to where her finger directed, catching notice of the two.

 Priscilla had her hand placed on his upper arm lightly. She leaned in to whisper and when she leaned back, a laugh erupted from her. The boy smiled at her as she did.

 "It's only love, Imelda. Are you scared of it or something?"

 Imelda looked over to me, her scowl deepening more than it usually did.

 "No, of course I'm not afraid of love. But I think there are more important things to worry about now, don't you think? Our studies, the lives we will have after this."

 I peaked at the couple who still remained in each other's company and answered her question.

 "Actually, I think if anytime is right to fall in love. Now is it. We're young, Imelda. This is the moment to make rash decisions, and maybe to even like the wrong person. If we make such decisions as adults, we would be more likely to be judged harshly for it."

 She seemed like she wanted to retort back, but her eyes slightly widened and she let out a huff.

 "I suppose you're right.."

 Her mouth dropped. "You did not hear me say that and don't you ever repeat it to anyone."

 With that, she stood up and walked away with haste.

 The ghost's who played music from their portrait slowed the tempo down, playing such a lovely tune. The pianist in the painting was entirely enveloped in his playing and with every note I could feel my heartstring pull. The past two years, I had to allow myself to heal from all we had went through. Ranrok slaughtering countless innocents, people that I considered friends. Anne's curse remaining, and Ominis losing his best friend. Our best friend.

 Ominis was always the positive one, glad to help out. But since we had returned from break, something seemed to have changed. I wanted to know what sparked that change, but we were still not on speaking terms. Just as a thought of him passed, I glanced over to where he sat. And there he was, glancing in my direction. It was as if he knew my mind was on him, like he had heard my thoughts. I pondered what it could be that he was hiding from me, it must be something of importance. I looked away, nervous under his lingering gaze and not entirely sure as to what do in this situation.

 A hand touched my shoulder lightly. "Care to dance?"

 A boy in my grade stood in front of me, placing his hands in his pockets, waiting on an answer. He had a dirtier shade of blonde colored hair and pale blue eyes, and before I had a chance to answer, Ominis stepped in front of him.

 "She's already promised me one."

 The boy didn't even glance back at me as he scurried off. I stood from my seat and scrunched my brows together in irritation.

 "You can't just keep showing up randomly deeming everyone unworthy, Ominis."

 He took my hand in his and slightly gripped it, enough to silence me. "One dance."

 His dark shades still covered his eyes, hiding any trail of emotion. I was honestly tired of the arguments and wanted a moment of peace with him, and if this one dance gave us that, I wanted.. needed to oblige.

 "Only one."

 I pulled him behind me, leading the way to where all of the other Slytherin student's danced. As we reached the crowd, Ominis tugged my body back toward his. Our chests bumped into one another and he placed one of his hands on the small of my back. His other hand gently caressed mine, bringing it mid air. We then began our slow dance, and not once did I look up at him. My eyes scanned everyone else's dancing forms to check for prying eyes. Ominis leaned in close to my ear, his minty breath tickling it.

 "You're right."

 Confusion tore through my train of thought. "About?"

 His fingers that gently caressed my back before had now slightly tightened into a grip, holding me more close than ever before.

 "A long list of things I've hid from you could be made at this point."

 I knew there was something he was hiding, maybe one secret. But to hear him admit to lying about plenty of things, it shocked me. Ominis had never been one to keep secrets from me, not at least until recently.

 "Care to tell?"

 His head slightly leaned into mine, the front of his hair pressing softly into the skin on my forehead.

 "Soon."

 He inhaled, and let out a light exhale. "Let me have this moment. Just this, now. Can we?"

 He thumb drew circles on my back, rippling goosebumps down my body. I peaked away from the crowd, causing him to lift his head from mine. I then peered at his shaded eyes.

 "I give you this now, and you tell me everything later? Can you do that for me?"

 He tilted his head downward to match mine, his glasses falling onto the middle of his nose.

 "Promises, promises."

 His eyes were green once more.