Chapter Twelve: A broken promise

I stood there, frozen in shock, as I heard the words that shattered my heart into a million pieces. "I'm sorry Aradhya but I lost feelings," Rehan said coldly and then turned around and left, leaving me standing there alone. At that moment, my world came crashing down around me and I couldn't help but let the tears fall from my eyes.

He had promised to wait for me, but now it seemed like all his promises were just empty words. How could he do this to me? How could he just walk away from everything we had built together? The pain of betrayal and heartbreak was too much to bear.

I broke down, crying my heart out. I had never cried like this before. It was like all the pain that I had been holding inside for so long had finally found its way out. He had broken me, and I didn't know how I was ever going to pick up the pieces.

In that moment of despair, I turned to my diary. It had been my constant companion for the past four years in Delhi, and it had always been there to help me heal. I opened it up, and with tears still streaming down my face, I started to write about my feelings. As I poured out my heart onto the pages of my diary, I felt a sense of release and relief. Maybe, just maybe, I would be able to find a way to heal from this heartbreak too.

10.09.2024

Few months since the day Rehan and I confessed our love for each other.
Rehan and my relationship was going great and our connection had only gotten stronger. Rehan had been patient and understanding towards my desire to take things slow and build a strong foundation for our relationship. We had been spending more time together, getting to know each other better and developing a deeper understanding of each other's needs and beliefs.

"Promise me, you will wait for me"

"I promise butterfly," He said kissing my forehead.

I remember how he promised me that he would wait for me.

But life had other plans for us. A few weeks ago, I received a letter of acceptance from an art university in Delhi. As art has always been my passion, I couldn't miss this opportunity. However, it meant that I had to leave Rehan and Mumbai behind for a while.

Rehan was supportive of my decision and didn't want me to miss out on this chance. So, I rented an apartment in Delhi as I wasn't comfortable with the hostels. Initially, it was difficult for me to adjust to a different environment, but I managed.

I missed Rehan every day, and we talked a lot during the first few days. However, as our schedules became busier, we didn't get to talk as often. I made sure to call or text him at least once a day, though.

Three years went by, and everything seemed fine until the last year. Suddenly, Rehan blocked me from every social media platform and stopped responding to my texts and calls. When I asked my mother about it, she used to say that he was busy. I didn't understand what had happened.

It was only after completing my education and returning to Mumbai that I found out the real reason. Rehan had lost his feelings for me, and that's why he had cut me off from his life. I was heartbroken and couldn't understand how he could lose his feelings so suddenly.

-~-

As I sat in my room, lost in thought, my mother walked in. Her presence startled me, and I looked up to see her standing in the doorway with a sad expression on her face. She spoke softly, "Just forgot him Aaru."

I let out a bitter laugh, "You are the one who arranged my marriage to him, maa. Now you're telling me to forget him?"

"I'm sorry Aaru, it all happened because of me," she said as she wrapped me in a hug.

I shook my head, "No, it's not your fault. Don't be sad, mamma."

But the tears had already started to fall, wetting my cheeks. "I fell for him, it was not your fault. It was my fault," I said, my voice cracking with emotion.

"I will be better, maa. Don't worry," I said, wiping away my tears.

And as I took a deep breath, I could feel my resolve strengthen. "See, I'm not crying anymore."

-~-

Twist!

Like the chapter?
Do vote<3

5+ votes for the next chapter.