7. Aurora's POV

Raine indulged my Mom's shopping tendencies as she tried on a lot of Mom's selected options. Based on the 'fuck no's' she mouthed to me, I sighed at how we'd be here longer than planned.

I took off work for this.

Any dress felt better against my skin than my disgusting work uniform. Like any fast food job, no matter how many times I washed my uniform, greasy smells came from it every time I ended my shifts.

Since today was Thursday, I would've worked after school, while Matt visited me after practice. We did homework together in the restaurant after my shift ended until the restaurant closed and we went our separate ways. Despite the forty five minute distance between us, our goodbyes were more drawn out.

After I'd sworn off all guys after Jack, Matt was more experienced than me. Other than he told me he was an asshole in his freshman year, to the extent he apologised to girls he took advantage of before we got together, I didn't know much about his past.

Unlike the raging ball of hormones I shared a bathroom with, Matt had more restraint than a nun. While my knees were left weak, my stomach burned with desire and my brain turned to mush when we kissed, he wanted to do things right and go slow.

Since I went to the last four games watching Matt's team instead of Dan's, I spent less time with Raine outside of school. All I did was work, school and see Matt. Matt took more AP classes than I did, but getting good grades and into college was important to both of us.

In a move I assumed my parents were less than excited about but hadn't mentioned to me yet, Matt and I decided to go to the same college together. Although the ones we applied to so far apparently had other ideas since only Matt had been accepted and my responses were no's.

I still have to tell him about my rejection letters.

While I waited for Raine's next dress option, I snapped a picture of my skirt and text my boyfriend. The word, and my phone wallpaper immediately made me smile.

Aurora: can you get a vest this colour
Aurora: {image attached}

Matt: is that all you want me to wear? ;)

"Never cease with the comments" I smiled down at my phone. "Guess that's part of your charm, Matt"

Aurora: no comment

My phone rang and his voice sent shingles through my body. "Hi, sweetheart"

"Hey" I took a deep breath and wished I was anywhere but here. "I'm still at the store with Raine and Mom"

"I'll take what I can get since you've been no commenting a lot"

Matt was direct and to the point, which I appreciated. Unlike when we first met, he didn't play any games since we started dating. Not that I'd any expectations since he was my first boyfriend, but he was really good at it.

"What do you want me to say?" I asked, cracking a smile. "I find the mental image of you in both anything and nothing attractive?"

"That's a start" I heard muffled sounds in the background. "We seriously need to work on your lack of flirting"

"You do enough for the both of us" I teased back. After Mom nodded her head at me and pointed to a dressing room to look at Raine's next option, I added, "Sorry I have to go, but I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay, bye"

A set of three words caught in the back of my throat as I almost said 'I love you' instead of goodbye. We didn't say those words to each other yet, but I definitely felt that way. Maybe Homecoming was the right chance.