22. Aurora's POV

"What do you think that's about?" Raine nudged me. Across the gym, Madison and Dan were having an argument. Dan waved his hands around, like he was conducting an orchestra.

"No idea" I whispered

I was going to say 'they never fight' but that wasn't true. Raine told me that history class got more interesting while she observed their quiet grips at each other, but I didn't pay attention to the details.

I should have paid attention. He's my brother.

"You should go talk to him" Matt gave me a knowing look.

He always reminded me to connect with Dan. Truth is, since Matt and I started dating, Dan had become absent in my life. We were both busy with new relationships.

"Right" I rolled my eyes. "Because he always listens to me"

We watched Madison step away from Dan, then head out of the gym. She kept her head down, like she didn't want anyone to see her face. I glanced at Raine, who shook her head.

"She's not my friend"

"You want to help sad half or grumpy half?" I asked, pointing to Dan.

She rolled her eyes, but caved. "Go" she shoved me towards Dan, then walked after Madison.

"Dan!" He was running his fingers through his hair when I reached him. "Are you okay?"

He turned to me, but kept his head down. "You saw that?"

I scanned the room of curious eyes looking in our direction and noticed everyone saw them arguing, but I kept that to myself and just nodded.

"I think she just broke up with me" he blurted out, frowning.

"Care to explain?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at the guilty expression on his face.

"Why do you think I did something?" He frowned, but I frowned back at him. "Fine, I'm on edge about the season"

"That can't be it" I called his bluff because he didn't look me in the eye. He was offered a full scholarship. All he needed was a good enough season and to not get injured in the process.

"She doesn't want to go with me"

"So?"

"So, she thinks we should break up now instead of later"

"That's dumb" I looked back at the door Madison walked out of. "Talk to her"

"I feel dumb" he admitted. "I wanted tonight to be special...for us"

"Dan" I stared at him, shocked. "Have you been...waiting for this girl?"

"Shut up" he glared at me. I knew I was right.

"Unless you want to wait longer, I suggest you go talk to her" I told him, pointing at the doors. "Raine went to talk to her, so you know that's not going to be comforting"

"Shit" Dan sighed again, then turned to take a few steps after Madison. Then he paused, and looked back over his shoulder at me. "Thanks"

I saw that to my relief, Matt was standing by the exit door. "We're leaving. I'll see you at home"

He glared at Matt, then looked back at me. If he was anyone else, I would've felt intimidated, but all I felt was irritated. "What?"

"I don't like him" was his angry response. "And I don't trust him"

"I do" I clenched my fists by my sides. I pointed one finger at him and added, "so you better get used to it"

"Fine. Bye" He gave me an awkward hug, before whispering in my ear, "don't do anything I want to do tonight, or I'll beat him to a pulp"