12. Matt's POV

"Great game, Matt" a tall man, with grey hair and glasses held his hand out to me. I shook hands with Ruddy, a recruiter. "We'll be in touch"

We easily won tonight's game. Nate and my tight end, made my job easy tonight as they'd lit up the ice. Our defence was a little shaky, but the clamped down for the rest of the game.

After my sixth goal, the coach pulled me from the game and let my backup run the offence. I hated being benched. I belonged on the ice.

Like after every game this season, tonight I spoke to college hockey recruiters. Most were in state but tonight was different.

"Thanks" While most of the time that was my canned response, this time I was genuine. I wasn't sure how interested I was in this college, a public college two hours from here, but I was interested in their hockey program.

"Matt Sturniolo" a recruiter in a grey sports jacket approached me. The 'W' on his pin told me what school he recruited for. His grey eyes looked at me as his hand reached out to me.

I gripped his hand firmly and forced a smile. 

"John Adams. Washington State" he introduced himself.

"Coach told me you'd be here tonight" I dropped my gear bag on the floor since the recruiter interviews had been taken longer than I expected.

I knew Aurora and Mom waited in their usual spots on the hallway. When I dropped my bag, they knew this conversation would take longer.

Right now, I wanted nothing more than to hug my girlfriend and show her how much I missed her this week, but I didn't want to be rude to this guy. "Long distance from Washington, sir"

"The Athletic Department sent me here a few weeks ago" He caught my attention when he added, "Hell of a game you played a few weeks ago"

"Thanks" I shrugged, reminded of my worst game in the season. "The team pulled through"

"Rumour has it you sported an eye injury that night" He looked into my eyes, making me shift on my feet.

"Not my best night" I admitted. His eyes looked at me like he was searching for something. He always saw me playing with full vision on the ice, since he was here tonight.

"Probably an obvious question" he finally spoke. "Do you dream of playing in the NHL?"

"I just want to get into a good school" I admitted. "I don't know what I want to major in, but something in science"

"Always good to have a plan B, but maybe you should consider your options for life after college" he crossed his arms across his chest. "Most of my guys went on to play in the NHL"

This guy is a different kind of recruiter.

"That's very impressive"

He snapped a business card into my hand. "Call Jeremy, we'll fly you up for a visit. I think you'll be impressed with both the science and hockey programs"

"I'll look into it" I nodded ahead of me, where Aurora stood talking to my Mom. "I'm not the only one you have to impress"

"Pretty girl" he patted my shoulder. "Enjoy it while it lasts"

"Sorry?" I looked back at John's expression, which softened after he looked at Aurora.

"We see a lot of broken up high school relationships with the guys" he offered. "Don't get too caught up because most don't continue after high school"

"Thanks for your time" I clenched my hands into fists. He nodded, shook my hand and left. I grabbed my bag, threw it over my shoulder and headed over to the person I wanted to see more than anything.

Aurora.

My chest tightened as the distance between us narrowed, then everyone and everything around us disappeared. The stadium disappeared, even Mom and I saw nothing but my girl.

"There you are-" my lips cut off Aurora's words as they pressed against hers. She melted as my arms wrapped around her waist.

"Hi, baby" I breathed into her mouth when we separated for air.

"Hey, you. Good game, benchwarmer"

"Funny" my mouth buzzed from our kiss as I smiled at her teasing. "I'd ask if you're hungry but you already had churros"

"Actually..." she tucked against my side and I threw my arm over her shoulders. "I thought you'd be tired, so I brought leftovers and smoothies for you and your Mom"

Her eyes sparkled and she added, "I hope that's okay for your stamina problem"

"If that's what you want" I leaned down, picked up my bag and kissed Aurora's head when I stood up. "I had something else in mind, stamina jokes aside"

Aurora understood that when my adrenaline rush went away, hockey games wore me out. Plus how I had early morning sessions with Mason and got very grouchy when I was tired, didn't make me an ideal date afterwards.

We always had quiet Friday nights at Mom's house, where we just ate dinner and watched a movie. We compromised on our taste of movies, my action and her chic flicks. She never complained when I fell asleep, she just teased me about it the next day.

For the record, my other stamina was worse. I told Aurora I wanted to take things slow physically, but every time I saw her, something lit up inside me.

"I sat on the bench a lot tonight, so you know what that means"

"Hm" she pretended to think, then shot me a smirk. "You might actually finish a movie tonight?"

"After I finish something else first" her eyes widened with interest, before I continued, Mom jumped on me for a hug.

"Great, game, Matt!" Her hands nearly strangled my neck. "I don't have to scold you for fumbled plays tonight"

I patted her back and rolled my eyes. Mom knew from the start how good Aurora was for me, she raved more about my girlfriend than me. Even now, as we walked to our cars, she talked about how thoughtful Aurora was to bring us dinner.

"Bye, kids!" Mom hugged me and Aurora, before saying goodnight.

After Mom drove away, I threw my gear bag into the backseat and got inside. Aurora got better at climbing into the truck, but I still held back the laughs every time I shut her door.

Her eyes looked curiously at me from the passenger seat once I got in and closed the door behind me. "What did you want to finish?"

"This..." I leaned over, cupped her jaw and pulled us together.