27. Matt's POV

I woke up Sunday morning with a big smile on my face. Mental images of my beautiful girlfriend flashing through my mind.

I turned off the alarm on my phone, then went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth and ran my hand through my hair.

A text message cut me off from my thoughts.

Nate: on the way, see you in 20

I looked down at my phone again, before changing into my gym clothes. Normally I hated Mason's Sunday morning workouts, but today Nate and Chris planned to join me.

Misery loves company.

After I put a change of clothes and my towel into my gym bag, I threw it over my shoulder and stood at the top of the stairs.

No burning smell. Good, Mom didn't make breakfast.

"Hey, Mom" I greeted her downstairs, where she sat at the table, with a bowl of cereal. She pushed the box towards me, some high fibre oatmeal cereal I didn't recognise. I grabbed a bowl, spoon and one of Aurora's smoothies from the refrigerator

"Here's your mail" she shoved a pile of not sealed envelopes at me.

"Really, Mom?" I set my gym bag on the floor and picked up the envelopes. "Couldn't resist, huh?"

"I can't help myself with the acceptance letters" she smiled. "Congratulations again"

"Thanks" I sat down and went through the letters, all acceptances like she just said. I saw the University of Washington letter on top and knew that wasn't a coincidence.

"The recruiter from Washington called yesterday" Her voice was full of pride. "Said it was great meeting you, and they wanted to arrange a trip up there"

I looked at her. "Really? Do you think I should?"

"He was very...persuasive" her smile didn't fade. "It wouldn't hurt to visit, right? He said he'd fly us out and get us a hotel"

My mind flashed back to Aurora's disappointment when she told me about her rejection letters.

When Mom saw me hesitate, she added, "we could ask Aurora if she wants to come, make sure she likes it too"

"Did Aurora tell you-"

"About her letters? Yeah" Mom nodded. "I told her it's their loss and she'll find something"

I stacked the envelopes in a pile on the table. "But okay, let's go when the season ends"

"I'll set it up" she smiled. "How was the dance?"

I ate a spoon of cereal. "Okay...none of their team beat me up, so that's good"

After a scoff, Mom narrowed her eyes at me. "Don't talk with your mouth full"

Dan's threats aside, I had a good time last night and I was surprised at how chill everyone was. Of course, my highlight was being with my girl afterwards.

"Sorry"

"And you and Aurora?" She raised an eyebrow at me. "Matt, did you-"

"I didn't sleep with her" I held my hands up. "We just had fun"

"If you say so" She narrowed her eyes at me as I ate more cereal. "Don't think I didn't see those condoms in the back of your truck"

"What?"

I'm going to kill Chris.

I gulped, slowly looking up. "Mom, I-"

"Relax" she smiled. "They were unopened"