Chapter 6

JESSIE

Mom was right when she said she was coming home the next day, and I was glad. I couldn't have handled her death so suddenly. With Mom home and the guys outside working, I was inside taking a break, helping Mom plan her funeral. It was not my idea of manual labor, but when Mama insists on something, you do it, especially when she is dying of Chronic Leukemia.

"I want you to get my sister Judy to sing In The Garden at my funeral. She always had the voice of an angel growing up and still does at the age of sixty. I also want pansies everywhere in that funeral home. I love those cute little flowers," Diane said.

"Mama, I will make sure you have everything you want. Write it all down, and it will be perfect. Is there anyone you want to speak to? Like me or my brothers? Or even Dad?" I asked.

Mama nodded. "I want you and each of your brothers to say something. It can be short and sweet or long. Just say something in memory of your mother. I did give birth to each of you. It is the least you five can do."

I chuckled. "Okay, I'll tell everyone that. You know we'll miss you like crazy when you're gone. I'm worried about Dad and how he will cope."

"I already told your daddy that when he is ready, he should move on and fall in love again if the right person comes along. I want him and each of my babies to be happy. You can't hold yourself back when I'm gone. You've got to keep moving forward. You know that has always been my motto, so do it."

"It's going to be hard on him. He loves you more than anything. I don't know if he will ever move on from you. He told me you would be his first love and his last."

Mama shook her head. "I don't want him to be lonely. I'll be alright if he falls in love with someone else after I'm gone. Just not too soon."

Mama patted me on the back. "I've kept you long enough. Bring some water out there to your brothers and join in on the fun. I'm sure they will stick you with unloading hay bales."

"I'm sure they will, but how else would I have these muscles if I didn't toss hay bales off the back of the trailer," I laughed.

I kissed my Mom on the forehead and grabbed a handful of water bottles.

The moment I stepped outside, the sun shone on my face, and I could feel my skin heating up and sweat ready to trickle down my back. I took my sunglasses off my head and put them over my eyes. Much better. I was wearing a navy blue tank top and light-wash denim shorts. This heat here in Texas was no joke. Summer was always blazing, and one of us usually ended up sunburnt. I usually got the odd tan lines, but they wouldn't be so bad today.

"Here is some water," I said, placing the bottles on the back of the truck tailgate.

My brothers immediately stopped what they were doing to chug the entire 16 ounces of bottled water.

"Trace, come over here and get some water!" Dane shouted toward the barn.

"Trace is here? When did he get here?" I asked.

I didn't think he would show up, let alone help us. I kept seeing this one side of him, and I was beginning to like it. The arrogant Trace was fun, too, but everyone loves a gentleman more.

"He got here about an hour ago. Right around that time, you went into the house to help Mom with the funeral planning. He wondered where you were, and I told him you would be out later," Dane said.

"Aw, he probably just wanted to see if I was doing any work. Maybe he thought I was a slacker," I said.

Trace approached us just as I finished my sentence and shook his head.