Chapter 23

JESSIE

Trace and I had quite a few eventful weeks leading up to our marriage and again even after we'd already tied the knot.

Rowdy's was being rebuilt, and I had a whole new floor plan. Now, it would not only be a bar but a restaurant. The bar would still be downstairs, and the dining would be upstairs. I had big dreams for this place. It's much bigger than the ones I originally had for the first Rowdy's. I already had new staff lined up and ready to work. My job would be managing the place more than working behind the bar. Candace was still my number one bartender, but I hired two others to help relieve her. Meghan also wanted to be hired, but she chose to waitress. I didn't know she had done that back home.

It was Saturday morning, and Trace wasn't in the house. He'd been off doing lots of chores with the others. I, however, had been in bed and just woke up. I was always an early riser, though I slept until eight o'clock today. I had been feeling nauseous these last few days, so I decided to take a pregnancy test. I didn't know if I was pregnant, but I wanted to check and see. It had already been four weeks, which meant I could potentially be caring for a little one.

When the two minutes were up, I flipped over the test to see the results.

Positive.

I stepped back from the counter and covered my mouth in surprise. I was pregnant? I wasn't upset, just shocked. Trace and I haven't planned this yet, but it doesn't mean I'm unhappy. A baby would bring so much joy into this family, but there was also that fear that lingered in the back of my mind when I lost my first child. I would not do any hard labor to cause me to lose this child.

I heard the door close and knew that meant Trace was back inside. My heart skipped a beat at the thought of his reaction.

"Firecracker, where are you?" Trace asked.

I chuckled at my nickname. It wasn't romantic, but the nickname stuck around to give us a good laugh. It was our thing.

"I'm right here," I said, exiting the bathroom. The pregnancy stick was being held behind my back, and I tried not to show too much emotion on my face, but it was hard.

"What have you been up to? Are you still feeling nauseous today?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I am." I held the stick up for him to see, and Trace moved closer to read it. "I found out why."

Trace's mouth curved into the biggest smile I had ever seen. The same smile he had when we got married. "You're pregnant?!"

I nodded and pulled another test out of my back pocket. "That's what these both say. I can't believe it. We're going to be parents!"

Trace wrapped his arms around me gently and kissed my lips. He then got onto his knees and lifted the tip of my shirt to kiss my stomach. "I can't wait to meet you little one. You're going to be a firecracker just like your mama."

I smiled and ran my fingers through Trace's hair. "I wasn't sure how you'd feel about all of this. It's so soon, and I know it wasn't planned. I know I'm scared about it after what happened before."

Trace returned to his feet and pulled me close so my head was on his chest. "Honey, I want to build a family with you. Whatever life throws at us, I know we can conquer it if we do it together. Imagine how great this place will be once they can run around. God has blessed us with a beautiful life so far, and it's only going to get better. We will make sure you take it easy around here, and there will be no hard work for you."

I nodded. "I'm so ready for this new chapter. The bar now has a restaurant added on, you being tumor-free, this baby, and so much more."

"Do you want to tell everyone, or should we keep it a surprise for now?" Trace asked.