Chapter 10

JESSIE

"Will you marry me?"

My heart fluttered at the question I was just asked by the man down on one knee in front of me with a beautiful diamond ring popping out of a small blue velvet box. Saying yes meant I skipped every step I had done before. No first date, kiss, or changing the relationship status to boyfriend or girlfriend. If I said yes, we became fiancé and fiancée, then husband and wife. I couldn't leave him on one knee for long. I had to make a decision and think of the pros along with the cons, which, if you asked me, the pros topped the cons.

Pros

He is good-looking, has money to take care of me and my family, is sweet, and fun to bicker with. He can teach me to ride a bull better if I ever decide to get back on. He saved my life, and I 100% like him.

Cons

-He could die at any point in time due to the tumor in his brain.

Yeah, the pros were better than the cons. What if his cancer went away, though, and it didn't come back? If I am in love with him now, I'm sure I would be then. What do I have to lose?

"Yes," I said. I nodded as tears filled my eyes. Trace took the ring and placed it on my finger. Then, for the first time, he kissed me, and it was EPIC. "Who would've thought I'd fall in love with a cowboy who rode bulls?"

Trace chuckled. "Who would've thought I'd fall in love with a woman who rode bulls, bartended, and was a ray of sunshine?" My cheeks turned red, and I glanced at the ring on my finger. "I've been carrying that in my pocket for a week. This was never how I expected my marriage proposal to go down, but I thought it was perfect."

"I thought it was great. Now, lie down. I'm tired and need some rest." Trace smiled and crawled into the bed next to me. I placed my head on his chest and could feel his heart beating fast. It was almost as fast as mine. "I think you came into my life right at the perfect time. My Mama may be in heaven, but this feels like her doing. Thank you for all you've done, Trace. Especially for saving my life tonight."

Trace gently kissed my forehead and wrapped his arm around my shoulder so he didn't harm me. "I would do anything for you, Jessie June. I talked to your brothers before this, and I have to say they might kill me now because I didn't mention the marriage part.'

I laughed. "Well, if they want to stay on my good side, they won't do you no harm. I'll admit I didn't expect it, but it is the wildest thing I have ever said yes to, and I know it will not be a regret. To anyone who thinks otherwise, we will prove them wrong just like I did about riding a bull." Trace began stroking my hair, reminding me of when my mother did the same thing. "You know my parents got married after knowing each other for a week?"

Trace's eyes widened as he looked at me. "Wow, no one can say anything about us then, huh?" I nodded. "Even if they did, I wouldn't care. What matters is we are happy. Thank you for agreeing, Jessie. I pray I don't end up hurting you in the end."

I shook my head with tears in my eyes. "You won't hurt me. I swear on it." Trace grabbed my hand and squeezed it. "You tell me if you ever need anything. I didn't know all this time you had this going on."

"It was nothing to be concerned about. Occasionally, I'll get weak and out of breath. Then there are the mood swings, but it hasn't gotten bad. Right now, you are the one that needs to let me know if you need anything. You got attacked by a bull, remember?"

'Yes, I know. I think, for the most part, I will be okay. It's going to be the getting up and down that is hard. The breathing sucks, too, considering I have to breathe to live. Every time I inhale and exhale, my ribs ache."

"If you need more morphine or anything here, you should tell them. Once you get home, you will be more comfortable, and I'll be at your beck and call," Trace said. Trace kissed my forehead. "Why don't you get some sleep? I'll be right here."

I cuddled close to Trace and shut my eyes. For the first time in a long time, my heart felt warm and happy.

TRACE

Jessie was able to go home the next day. She needed rest after everything she'd been through. Jessie wanted to tell her family the news today, and I knew she was nervous. Hell, I was nervous about what they'd say.

Once Jessie was home and on the couch in her house, everyone came over, including Jessie's friends. There was no better time than to tell them all together.

"Jessie and I have something we'd like to tell you all," I said, sitting beside Jessie, her hand linking with mine.

Jessie flashed her ring to everyone and gasps filled the room. "I know it's sudden, but we both agreed. Trace and I made this decision with clear minds. Do you want to tell them?" She asked.

I nodded. "I have a cancerous brain tumor and was given a couple of years to live. My surgery is in November to remove the tumor, but there is no way of knowing if it will grow back or not. Jessie makes me happy, and I told her I'd like to live the rest of my life happy. I love her, even though you may disagree that a person can't fall in love so easily. I believe she is the right person at the right time."

"Wait, you're getting married because you love each other?" Dane asked. He shook his head. "Makes perfect sense to me. What's the other part?"

"I'm going to help you all save this ranch. You won't have to work your asses off every day to make more money," I said.

Scott shook his head. "Max Lane offered me money for the ranch just this morning when he found out about Jessie's condition."

Jessie scoffed. "Dad, please tell me you didn't take any of his money?! Please tell me you didn't even consider his offer to buy this place!"

Scott nodded. "It's a good deal, Jessie. I considered it, and Trace, while I appreciate the help, I may take Max's offer."

"No, Dad! I will not lose this place and Mom all in the same week! Trace wants to help us out. What is so wrong with that?" She asked.

"Sir, I'm willing to help. No payback is necessary. Once Jessie and I marry, I'd leave it all to her anyway. Besides, I have too much money, and this place is amazing. I'd hate to see someone else buy it and kick you out of here."

Scott walked over toward me and extended his hand. "Alright, fine, we have a deal. Thank you, Trace."

I nodded. "My pleasure, sir."

"So, when are we planning the wedding?" Bailey asked. She took a seat next to Jessie. "I need details!"

Jessie laughed. I loved hearing her laugh. It was so adorable. "Well, Bailey, first, I have to get better. There will be no wedding with my fractured femur and broken ribs. I can't walk as it is."

"Oh, come on. We could always put you in a white dress and wheel you down the aisle! It will be fun!"

Bailey laughed, but we all knew she was kidding. Even I wouldn't want Jessie to get married to me in her condition unless it's what she wanted. A wedding day is something many people, especially women, look forward to in their lifetime. I want Jessie's to be memorable and have her be able to walk down the aisle.

"We must wait for Trace's family to come into town whenever we decide to marry. His sister is coming into town next week, right?"

I nodded. "Yes, Meghan is thrilled to meet all of you. My parents and step-parents will be coming down a day later. They all wanted to see me ride in person again before I decided to stop. With it being July now, I don't know how much longer I will continue and if I will after the surgery. It's going to be a hard decision."

My dream has been to ride bulls all my life, and I have done that. I worked my way up from the bottom and got to the top. Now that I have accomplished that, I'm unsure if I want to continue. There could be something out there better for me, but I don't know what.

"Whatever you do, I will support you. Please don't injure yourself before the surgery, though."

Jessie grabbed my hand and squeezed it. I didn't want to let her down in any way, so this coming week would probably be the last time I rode. After all, we did have a wedding to plan and, from there, a honeymoon. We needed to spend time together as a couple since we were getting married. We didn't know each other like most engaged couples do, which wasn't bad; I guess it was rare.