Chapter 1

JESSIE

"Come on, Jess, you can do this," I mumbled. My heart was racing faster than I had ever noticed.

Standing at the gate with a black bull named Rambo beneath me was nerve-wracking. He was fierce, perhaps not as intense as the bulls my brothers had faced, but daunting enough for a first ride. My only practice had been on a mechanical bull, reminiscent of a scene from "The Longest Ride" with Scott Eastwood. This real bull was no laughing matter, and I was genuinely scared.

I could sense the odd glances from everyone in the arena, their thoughts likely echoing, "What is this girl doing? This is dangerous." Yes, I was aware of the danger, but such feats are commonplace in my family. I've followed in my brothers' footsteps, engaging in reckless endeavors. Riding a bull and competing in a rodeo had always been on my bucket list. My entire family, except for my mother—who has always been supportive—had participated. I was determined to demonstrate that I could face this challenge as a woman, regardless of the risks.

"Jessie, you don't have to do this. We are not making you. Not everyone in our family has to ride a bull. It's all a little fun," Colton said.

I turned my head around to him and shook my head. "I'm going to do it, Colton. I have to do it."

I pulled my glove on tight and hopped onto the bull Rambo, who immediately became angry the second I sat down. Colton let the gate open, and I held onto the bull for as long as possible until he threw me off.

"Jessie, get out of there quick!"

I glanced up and saw the bull coming toward me. I scrambled to my feet and ran to the gate to jump over, taking my brother down with me.

"You okay?" Colton asked.

I nodded, standing up and brushing myself off.

"I'm great!"

I glanced up at the clock.

"Did you see my time?! I held on for seven seconds!"

"I saw. That's a great time for your first time on a bull. Maybe you have the bull riding skills like the rest of us."

Colton smiled and patted my back as Dane, Bennett, and Parker ran over.

"Jess, that was awesome! I didn't think you could pull it off, but you did, and I'm so proud!"

Dane squeezed a hug out of me while Bennett and Parker patted me on the back.

In my family, I'm the youngest of five siblings. Colton, the eldest at thirty-two, is married and resides on a section of the ranch with his wife, Veronica. He retired from bull riding two years ago due to an accident that resulted in a limp. Next is Bennett, who could be considered the ranch's veterinarian; he tends to the animals on our property and beyond. Rather than riding bulls, he now looks after them. Parker, whom I teasingly call the playboy, undertakes much of the strenuous work on the ranch, as we all do, and occasionally participates in bull riding. Dane is the only one who has continued to pursue bull riding professionally, apart from myself, who is just starting. My brothers and I share a close bond, each born two years apart. At twenty-four, convincing my family to let me ride bulls wasn't easy, but after much persuasion, I made it.

"If I bull ride and bartend, will it help save the ranch? Will it even put a dent in what we have to pay?" I asked.

Parker sighed. "Anything and everything helps, but no. Thanks to your lovely ex-boyfriend Max Lane's family ranch, I don't know if we will be living here at the end of this year. I still can't believe they want to buy the ranch."

"Veronica has been working her butt off at the hospital to help us pay too. You'd think we would have it paid off with as many of us, but no. I don't understand how it got to be like this. There was money, and then it was gone," Colton said.