Chapter 20: Relationships Falling Apart

Peeta's POV

Katniss: You should of talked to me two months ago when you had the chance, but I think your out of chances now.

When she sent this to me I did relies, I should of talked to her months ago. But I was to angry to.

I think back to the moment when they kissed. I hit my fist on the table. Why would she cheat on me?

I look at the clock.

5:01

I might as well go to the bakery. So I grab my keys and drive to the bakery, which isn't far from where I live. Alone.

Once I get there, I get out and walk inside. Flipping the sign from 'closed' to 'open'. Getting prepared for what today holds.

The day goes by pretty slow. Customers coming in. Buying something. Then leaving. It's the same thing everyday.

But then I see them walk in, holding hands. I look down.

You have a girlfriend, Peeta. My mind tells me. I do have a girlfriend and I've been happy with her. I smile.

Her name is Delly. Delly Cartwright. We have known each other for forever now. She kept asking me for dates, over and over. So I accepted.

Now we are dating. I should be happy with her, which I am. But Katniss is on my mind all the time. I can't let her go.

I see Finnick lean down and kiss Katniss. Shaking my head, I look up at them. "Hi and welcome to the Mellark Bakery, how may I help you?" I ask smiling.

Finnick looks at me and smiles. "How have you been, buddy?" Buddy?

"I've been good." I look at Katniss and smile. Katniss locks eyes with me and actually smiles. My heart beats faster.

Then I hear the bell ring, signaling another customer. But then I see her blonde hair and blue eyes looking at me, she smiles and walks towards me.

"Hey." I say, walking around the contour and hugging her. "Hey. I just wanted to come see you." She says, kissing me quickly.

I smile. I walk back around the contour. She walks over and sits at a table, smiling at me.

My eyes wander back to Katniss and Finnick. But my eyes only land on Katniss. Her eyes stare into mine, tears start to come to her eyes but she blinks them away.

I only smile at her. "So Peeta has a girlfriend?" Finnick smirks.

I nod. "Yeah." I smile at him, then at Delly. "I do too." Finnick says, pulling Katniss closer to him.

"You two are dating?" I ask, hiding my jealousy. "Yeah, we ju-" Katniss falls to her knees.

"Katniss?" Finnick goes on his knees and brings her face up. "Are you alright?" He whispers to her.

I walk around the contour. "Katniss?" I whisper. Her eyes meet mine and tears fall for them. What is going on?

First shes all lovey dovey with Finnick, and now she's crying? I see Delly rush to my side, I wrap my arms around her.

But I'm wishing I could that to Katniss, instead.

"Peeta." Katniss whispers, pushing Finnick away.

What she says next shocks me.

"I'm still in love with you, Peeta!" Once she relies what she said, her hands fly to her mouth.

Finnick eyes get big. She still loves me? She still loves me! My heart beats faster. "Peeta!" She cry's out.

Finnick stands up. "And I thought you loved me." He says. "We're over." Then he walks out of the bakery, making Katniss cry more.

"Peeta?" I look down at Delly. She knows about me and Katniss, I know what's about to happen next.

"Do you still love her?" She whispers, tears coming to her eyes. I look down at Katniss, her eyes meet mine.

"Yes." I say. "I never stopped loving her." I look back down at Delly.

"I'm so sorry, Delly." She then nods. "It's okay, Peeta. I knew you still loved her." She then walks out of the bakery, leaving only me and Katniss.

I walk towards Katniss, kneeling in front of her. "Katniss." I whisper. She doesn't look up at me.

"Katniss." I say again. She still doesn't look up. I grab her face and force her to look at me.

She instantly relaxes. Her eyes close and she lets another tear fall, I wipe it away.

"Peeta." She whispers, opening her eyes. "I'm so sorry. I never k-kissed Finnick. H-he kissed m-me." My eyes widen in shock.

"What?" So all this time, he kissed her. "Why didn't you tell me?" I ask.

Her grey eyes look down, then back at my blue ones. "Because you n-never would h-have believed me." I sigh.

I should of just talked to her about it. Instead of running away from her. "I'm so sorry, Katniss." She looks at me. Her eyes showing an emotion I know mine reflect.

"I never stopped loving you, Peeta Mellark."