A Small Lie Turned Into Truth

Summary:
Coming back from vacation, Lan Wangji realizes the love of his life is missing and no one seems to have noticed. The only problem? Wei Ying doesn't exactly know how Lan Wangji feels. Now, Lan Wangji has to track him down and hope Wei Ying is okay.

{aka. Lan Wangji standing up for the man he loves to the Jiang's or anyone who will listen <33}
_____________________

“You could be nicer.” Jiang Cheng’s voice so close but also so far away.

“Both of you need to settle down.” A police officer walking by says. Different officer than they had spoken to when they arrived. By now at least 10 have told them the same thing.

“No. I will not be nicer. I’m done with pleasantries and frankly I don’t give a fuck about you, your feelings, or your family.”

Jiang Cheng scoffed. “Wow. Never heard you cuss before.”

Lan Wangji whipped his head at the other. “Well get used to it because how could you not notice that your brother was missing?!!”

He was pissed.

Livid.

Whatever the biggest longest most descriptive word you can think of for anger and multiply that by 80 and that’s what Lan Wangji felt.

He’d always found himself playing pseudo-protector of Wei Ying. He never hated it. He loved it. Knowing Wei Ying would turn to him when he was sad, lonely, needed a shoulder to cry on. The part he hated? That it seemed he was the only person in existence who loved Wei Ying. Unconditionally, no strings attached, wanting nothing more from the man except his happiness.

They were one semester away from graduating- Wei Ying in architecture and Lan Wangji is music theory. They would both have their masters and had jobs already lined up in another city. They were going to start their lives together. Lan Wangji was going to confess after they walked across the stage, degree in hand, and finally tell Wei Ying he’s loved him from the first day they met.

Gawky teenagers with braces and parents schedules and ignoring what was building between them because they were so young. It was the right thing
to do. Lan Wangji couldn’t really convince himself of that now. All the time felt... wasted and for what? It felt pointless to hold off when the person might not exist anymore.

No! Lan Wangji couldn't let himself think like that.

“He does this all the time. He always comes back except-“

Lan Wangji spoke with gritted teeth. “Except, he didn’t answer your sisters call because no matter how neglected, put on the back burner, and never given a
second thought that your family puts him through, Wei Ying will always answer Jiang Yanli’s number.”

It made Lan Wangji nearly seethe with rage. He wasn’t jealous about that. He was more upset over the fact that this was how Wei Ying adapted to his home life. Being ignored and passed over like he was no more than an inconvenience, the only person showing him a sliver of kindness as a child was his sister. Until Lan Wangji came around that was all Wei Ying had. Because Wei Ying thought it was normal to break down into a fit of tears and sobbing before answering a phone call from his aunt. Or the anxiety attack that would happen when his uncle asked Wei Ying to stop by his office.

Except his sister and for all her good, Jiang Yanli still let this happen. No matter what, she still plays a role in Wei Ying's neglect and that alone has Lan Wangji keeping the entire family out of Wei Ying's reach. She missed Wei Ying’s disappearance as well. She only seemed to notice when Lan Wangji reached out, frantic he couldn't get ahold of Wei Ying.

She’s recently been married. The reason she gave for being distracted. Maybe it wasn’t fair but Lan Wangji didn’t give a fuck about her reasoning. That didn't make it okay that Wei Ying was out there somewhere and none of them knew if he was okay. The person Lan Wangji loves most in the world is gone... possibly hurt, and the only one who sees the urgency to find him was Lan Wangji.