beware the crow's caw

Summary:
“Ahh, Lan Zhan! You treat your husband so well! How will I survive without you during tonight’s night hunt? I am but a weak cultivator and need a strong man like you to protect me! Woe!” “Wei Ying is strong and competent. It is only for one day.”

“Ah ah ah, Lan Zhan,” Wei Wuxian thought. “Look at me. I’ve gotten myself into another situation.”

- Or -

Wei Wuxian leaves for a night hunt with some juniors, a night hunt without his husband. What could go wrong? (hint: a lot.)
____________________________

Wei Wuxian was living the good life. He had a wonderful husband, a dutiful son, plenty of impressionable juniors to teach, and all of his basic needs and whimsy wants satisfied. He had everything (well, almost everything. But there are some things you just can’t get back) he could ever want and was safe, fed, and content.

“Wei Ying.” Wei Wuxian felt a large warm hand brush his bangs away and a pair of soft lips on his forehead. “Wei Ying, it is time to wake up.”

He whined and covered his head with blankets. “Lan Zhaann, how could you wake up your husband so early! After keeping me up so late into the night, you would think that you would let me sleep in more! Lan Zhaaan!!”

There was only a small huff of laughter from his husband before he felt strong arms underneath him, hauling him up from the warm comfort of their shared bed. He yelped, clinging to his husband’s robes as he was transported to the bathroom of the Jingshi. His feet gently touched the floor, and his under robes were slowly pulled off his shoulders. He heard the rustling of Lan Wangji neatly folding his robes and placing them aside. Wei Wuxian turned towards the tub, a heating talisman fluttering on the side of the wooden basin. He breathed in the warm steam and felt the tension lifting from his shoulders. As he stepped in the bathwater, his aching muscles started to relax.

He sighed comfortably. “Ahh, Lan Zhan! You treat your husband so well! How will I survive without you during tonight’s night hunt? I am but a weak cultivator and need a strong man like you to protect me! Woe!”

“Wei Ying is strong and competent,” Lan Wangji told his husband while lathering his hands with soap. “It is only for one day, and then we will reconvene in Baling the next morning to pick up the Ouyang heir and then make our way to Lanling for Sect Leader Jiang’s resignation as regent and the young Jin heir’s coronation. I will be right behind you once I finish the reports of the last night hunt.” Talented hands, trained through years of guqin practice, started massaging Wei Wuxian’s scalp. Wei Wuxian melted even more into the bath. His eyes fluttered shut and he drifted off to his husband’s low voice humming their song.

_________

The juniors milled around the GusuLan gates, chattering with other disciples while waiting for their Senior Wei to arrive at the meet-up point. The last rays of sunlight filtered through the yellowing tree leaves, the sharp mountain breeze casting a slight chill that rippled through the disciples’ robes. It was a promise of autumn, of mooncakes and lanterns and festivals.

A loud voice cut through the chattering. “Look!” Lan Jingyi said. “It’s Senior Wei! SENIOR WEI!!! OVER HERE!!”

Even across the Cloud Recesses courtyard, they could hear Wei Wuxian’s boisterous laughter at Lan Jingyi’s outburst. His hair was slightly disheveled and his robes were slightly loose as he ran towards them. Behind him, Lan Wangji walked gracefully with the powerful air he always exuded. If you were Wei Wuxian or Lan Xichen, you would know that his face simply radiated smugness. As Wei Wuxian got closer, you could clearly see that his lips were bitten red, his cheeks still flushed.

“Haha! Sorry for being late! I got… distracted with something,” Wei Wuxian said. Lan Wangji’s ears bloomed the faintest red. The juniors knew what that ‘something’ was, but none were shameless enough to say it aloud.