i will never look away again

Summary:
Lan Wangji recalls his college days with Wei Wuxian, who vanished abruptly without a trace.

Thirteen years later, Lan Wangji meets him again in an art gallery.
__________________

Lan Wangji walked into the gallery, the memories of his college days echoing in his mind like a haunting melody. He couldn't forget the vibrant energy that Wei Wuxian had brought into his life, a radiant presence that seemed to brighten even the gloomiest days.

In his college days, thirteen years ago, he and Wei Wuxian were arguably inseparable. Wherever he would turn his head, Wei Wuxian would be there. His infectious laughter, carefree demeanour, and that blinding smile had been a constant source of warmth for Lan Wangji, and at that time he didn’t know what to do with all those fluttering, dangerous feelings it gave him. It didn't help that they were also roommates, meaning he had more than once seen Wei Wuxian in nothing but a towel whenever he had stumbled across him just after he had showered. Everytime, he would utter his uncle’s discipline rules that had been ingrained into his mind ever since he was a child.

And so he had suppressed them. He suppressed those confusing feelings. Stating words such as “ridiculous,” or “boring” whenever Wei Wuxian would push at his limits.

Until one day, without a word, Wei Wuxian vanished from his life. No text, no note – just an abrupt disappearance that left Lan Wangji in a state of bewildered, unwelcoming solitude.

The initial days were a flurry of unanswered calls and countless texts. Lan Wangji's concern turned into desperation as he sought any trace of Wei Wuxian. It wasn’t like him. Not one bit. He knew something must have happened for Wei Wuxian to have gone without a trace, and he was determined to make sure he was okay and safe.

He even tried reaching out to Wei Wuxian's shijie, Jiang Yanli, hoping for some information. He had no clue where to find her, but he remembered Wei Wuxian once telling him she took design. So Lan Wangji made his way hastily to that department. However, on his way there, he overheard how an emergency had compelled the Jiang family and Wei Wuxian to leave, leaving no clue about their whereabouts.

When Lan Wangji processed this new information, he froze.

Wei Wuxian was gone.

He had no clue where he was, but he was gone.

Just like that.

He had left.

Wei Ying.

Weeks turned into years, and Lan Wangji's once vibrant college life became a distant memory. Every return to his dorm room during those days was a stark reminder of the absence of Wei Wuxian's bright smile, teasing remarks, and the familiar call of "Lan Zhan!"

Lan Xichen, his older brother, had witnessed the pain etched on Lan Wangji's face and offered support, but the mystery of Wei Wuxian's disappearance remained unsolved.

In the intervening years, Lan Wangji pursued his passion for music and became a music tutor, thinking of how much Wei Wuxian had praised him for his talent for music. On some nights during their college days, they had even played together, with him playing a musical instrument called the guqin and Wei Wuxian playing the flute. 

Yet, throughout this time, Wei Wuxian was still a persistent presence in his thoughts. The constant mantra of "Is he alright?" echoed in his mind, a question that lingered without any answers. The only solace came from the belief that wherever Wei Wuxian was, he was with his family – a thought that resonated with the importance Wei Wuxian had always placed on family bonds.