Death May Serve You

Summary:
"Now, Lan Zhan…"

A choked laugh clawed up his throat, out his mouth with the blood that flowed.

"...Why are you crying?"

Lan Zhan sat still, his knees soaked in the blood pool beneath them. The pool of Wei Ying's blood.

A crow could be heard in the distance, its caw echoing through the land strewn with corpses.

"You did what was right."

Wei Ying's smile did not waver as he said this, even perking up slightly. It was an inside joke Lan Zhan couldn't laugh at. Had never laughed at, and would never be able to laugh at, again.

Blood dribbled down Wei Ying's chin.

His eyes were lidded.

"You've slain the big bad villain, isn't that good?"

...

BiChen was held steady, the hilt in his hand, the blade in Wei Ying's chest.

Lan Zhan's vision blurred.

"You're a hero, a true vanquisher of evil."

Wei Ying brought his hands up, and they trembled and shook as he exerted more effort than he had to spare just to caress Lan Zhan's face.

He raised a hand to grasp at Wei Ying's frail fingers.

"I told you it was fine. I told you to kill me. I begged for it."

...

Lan Zhan couldn't do this.

His grip on BiChen loosened.

Hunched over his soulmate, Lan Zhan felt himself tremble.

Wei Ying laughed at him, the movement jostling BiChen from where it impaled him.

"So why the tears, Lan Zhan?"

Lan Zhan grasped at Wei Ying, at his arms, at his chest, at his face.

A choked cry of " Wei Ying " got caught in his throat.

Wei Ying brought both hands, slick with blood, to Lan Zhan's back.

A poor attempt at a hug.

"Do you hate me?"

He could feel the cooling blood seep through his robes.

Wei Ying's arms strained to reach as far as they could around Lan Zhan's chest.

Lan Zhan leaned in closer to make it easier.

The blood rippled beneath him.

He couldn't stop shaking .

His lips were sealed shut, as if under a silencing spell. The words he willed could not come.

...

His heart beat loudly, every rapid thump causing his ears to ring. He felt like his heart was trying to claw its way out to reach Wei Ying before he left.

He tightened his hold on Wei Ying.

The Burial Mounds were silent, empty in the aftermath of the destruction which occurred earlier.

"You probably do. It's understandable."

Lan Zhan grabbed Wei Ying's hand desperately, the tears swelling in time with the heavy feeling in his chest.