1

You clicked the necklace into place as you stood in front of the mirror, admiring how the ruby provided a starking contrast with your midnight blue gown, the square neckline making a display of your collarbones, the sleeves full and fitted just like the bodice after which it fell in an elegant flair down to your ankles. You clicked your fingers and the maid arrived behind you, fixing the tied curls in your hair upon your indication. Everything about you screamed mystery and power, and you both loved and hated that.

"I'll be back soon after midnight- have a warm bath prepared for me."

"Yes, ma'am," the maid bowed before leaving and you stepped into your matching flats. For the past half an hour your maid had basically polished you- styling your hair into an elegant but messy bun, doing your routine makeup, dressing you up. It was time to get to the counter and deal with your 'customers'. You took a deep breath, glancing at the sword that was hanging as a decoration in the living room. Smiling, you left the room and walked downstairs, greeting the maids and waitresses that bowed to you before settling behind the counter, your usual spot where you managed the guests- of course, that was also a pretence among the other things about your personality.

"Good morning, Sakura. I hope everything is in order today."

"Madame Lee," the receptionist bowed, motioning you to take her seat- she would now be moving to the other desk until you leave. "Everything is well. I hope you're doing well."

"Absolutely," you smiled, waiting until she was out of sight before you sat and pulled out the register, sitting on your seat and glancing at the few customers you had- some of them were residing temporarily here, while the others dropped by for breakfast- either to meet a resident or to mingle. You sighed, feeling a little bored- you always did, in the mornings it always got interesting around evening, when the people present would exchange gossip and secrets, make decisions that could change the course of this little island that was home to many- Mist Island.

Of course, no matter whether you were busy or not, time flew. You had quite a few interesting guests in your hotel today, and right now, almost 10 in the night, you were dealing with a... difficult client who was testing your patience with every passing minute.

"Look, Madame," he began, his eyes travelling all over you as he smirked. "All I'm saying is it's dangerous business to get involved in places you aren't meant to be."

"I hope you haven't forgotten, Officer," you sipped tea, glad there was a table between you two- you wanted nothing more than to kick him in the shins. "Money buys everything. You, of all people, should know."

He raised his brow, wondering just what you were implying. It didn't help that you wore your statement smile that revealed nothing but, at the same time, made men shiver with worry. "Yes... money buys everything."

You tilted your head, pleased to see he was confused. "If you can afford a secret, we'll have a deal. You know I only give out freebies if I feel generous, or... if it could provide for some entertainment in this boring town. And frankly... I'm not feeling very generous right now, I'm afraid."

The Officer made a face, nodding his head slowly in denial more than agreement, his black uniform almost blending with the leather chair in the dim lights. "And what pleases you, Madame? I've heard it's not always money that you demand."

"A secret in exchange for an even better secret, or... something valuable to you would do," you grinned and the Officer thought you looked like a magpie at that moment, ready to snatch whatever caught your eye. "So?"

The Officer bit his lips nervously, leaning forward once again. "I'm desperate, Madame. I need to know what the Prince's Right Hand and the envoy from Eden talked about. Don't you care about the future of Mist Island? I think that should be enough to tell me the secret- I report to the Prince and I think the Prince's Right Hand is betraying him-"