8

"I don't think we're finding anything at this rate. It's all so cryptic anyway- what are you doing?"

You were glaring at one of your father's journals, the entries very cryptic, just like Jongho had said. You found out that your father usually noted when exactly he met someone and at what place, and you wondered if noting it down helped him with his memory- he didn't have a bad memory at all. That must be the reason.

"You know, glaring holes into these isn't going to make something pop up," Jongho tossed a candy near you and you glared at him once before unwrapping it and putting it into your mouth, going back to what you were doing. "You'll have better luck looking at these albums- let's switch."

You sighed, smacking the diary shut and slumping back. "I think we're only wasting our time. He's not one to leave behind any trace." You exchanged your diaries with the albums and started flipping through them. "And even if we find something, we can't really link anything to what's currently happening. It's a long shot."

"No harm looking," Jongho said, flipping through the pages. "Besides, isn't it fun just sitting here and doing basically nothing? A day off from your duties?"

"I don't remember the last time I took a day off," you smiled, but then it faltered. "However, this is the last thing I would want to do on my day off."

Jongho looked at you then, suddenly curious. "What would you rather do instead?"

"I don't know," you stretched your arms, thinking. "Visit the beach? It's been a while, but now there are soldiers everywhere. I could go to the beach in the south though. That area has been secluded for a while and I have acquaintances who live there. It would be nice to visit them."

"Well," Jongho threw the diary back into the bag. "Get up then. We're going to the beach. I'll be back in a few minutes, and you better be ready by then."

"Wait, you're serious?" You scoffed. "I can't just leave like this-"

"You can," Jongho grinned. "You're the boss here. This place can run itself. Come on, get up."

"Jongho," you groaned, looking up at the roof as if that would help. Jongho only crawled behind you and flicked your forehead, making you mutter a curse at which he snickered before pushing you up.

"Don't be such a brat. Dress casually for once- and don't tie your hair."

"Why are you so obsessed with my hair-" you faltered when you recalled how you two had almost kissed last night. You glanced at him and were surprised to see a light flush across his cheeks.

"It just makes you look good. I like it, okay?" He fidgeted awkwardly and then shoo-ed you again, making you laugh as he practically pushed you inside your room. "Fifteen minutes!"

Jongho liked you, you were sure. You liked him too, there was no denying it, but you two were still figuring it out, it seemed. And you planned to get to know him today- not the Jongho who worked under Mr. Lee, but Choi Jongho, the person that he was. You shuffled through your clothes and wore a beige casual gown with ruffled sleeves, leaving your hair half tied with a straw hat, and finally pulling over your black cloak. As you stood in front of the mirror with a racing heart, you realised you were excited. You hadn't felt like this in years.

Jongho was changing you and your life, and though you hated sudden change, you liked this. And you were realising that he was breaking your walls down. You would never let anyone get as close to you as Jongho had gotten in such a short period of time. You never trusted someone, never asked someone to trust you, yet...

You heard a knock on the door and took a deep breath before taking your bag and opening the door, both of you surprised as you scanned each other- Jongho because you really had let your hair down, and you because he was dressed in a white button up shirt under a brown coat and he looked really, really good.