Chapter #53 Painful Surrender

I walked up the steps of the mansion with a hop to my stride. Even with the aches and pains of my feet, it didn't ruin my mood. I waved off the men and women that accompanied me and bid them farewell. The silence of the night was replaced with ringing in my ears. My brain had to adjust to the sudden peaceful change of atmosphere. I pushed the large doors open. Instead of a dark house, I was greeted with a dimly lit room. I knew simply by the weight of the ambiance that Taehyung was surely near.

I flinched when a voice erupted behind me.

"How was it?" Taehyung asked in a gentle, deep voice. My eyes darted over my shoulder where Taehyung was patiently leaning against the wall.

"Look who finally decided to come out of their cave." I joked.

"Do you have anything worth telling me about tonight? Did you enjoy yourself?" He spoke, ignoring my banter.

"You must be feeling better." I matched his dismissive tone. He smirked.

"I'm feeling well, did you enjoy yourself?" He repeated. I didn't have the urge to be mean or sleazy. I was in far too good of a mood to ruin it by being a smartass.

"As a matter of fact, I did."

"That's good to hear."

Awkward silence fell between us.

"What is it?" I asked wearily.

"You wouldn't have walked down all those damn stairs in your state just to ask me how my night was. So, spit it out, what is it?"

Taehyung sighed.

"I don't know what's gotten into me." He laughed. My stomach churned. What was this? This tone, this side of him? I gulped and took a few steps away from him.

"Taehyung." I stammered. He closed the space between us.

"You've really started to rub off on me." He scoffed. I squinted in confusion. What?

"What are you blabbering about?" My voice became strained.

"I'm talking about last night. Well, not just last night, the past year really."

"I don't understand-"

"When I'm with you, I lose my self control. I'm supposed to be the bigger person in this childish feud for fucks sake. Now it seems the roles have switched."

"What are you saying? Is this another meaningless exchange of words to try and reach some kind of compromise? We both know that won't-"

"Let's be honest, Jungkook. We've both disregarded the contract entirely, forgotten about it really. I'm losing it. I hate it."

"What's wrong with you-"

"That's exactly the problem, Jeon! I don't fucking know."

"Stop calling me Jeon."

Taehyung raised an eyebrow, a sinister smile resting on his lips. I swallowed hard.

"What would you like me to call you?"

"Doesn't fucking matter. Just not Jeon." My mood was quickly darkening. For the first time in months I had my first good day yet this bastard had to ruin it for me. Taehyung gazed at me with an unreadable expression. I stepped back once more.

"Are you drunk?"

Taehyung laughed.

"I wish. It would make this so much easier."

A moment of silence thickened the air between us.

"Aren't you sick of it? This back and forth."

I rolled my eyes and began to turn for the stairs. He grabbed my wrist with a hefty grip. I would've pulled away, but I couldn't help but worry I'd be responsible for setting back his recovery. The sooner he got better, the sooner my life would be mine once more.