Introduction

Welcome to one of my ONC projects for 2024

What fandom am I writing for?

Avatar: The Last Airbender

What prompt am I using?

I am using prompt fifty-five, "You're a young royal in disquise who befriends a villager with a scarred face. One day they are arrested for stealing something you gave to them."

How am I using the prompt?

Katara is the royal in disguise, her status as the daughter of the head chieftain making her the equivalent to a royal as Sokka points out to Princess Yue in AtLA. She befriends Zuko, the nephew of the tea merchant, when she goes into the capital village disguised, but she gifts Zuko her mother's necklace, which, for those who know fandom, knows there is a significance to the necklace culturally within the Water Tribes.

Anything else of note?

This story is an alternate universe where the Fire Nation didn't decimate the Southern Water Tribe to achieve the intended goals.

And, as Sokka says to Princess Yue, he and his sister are their tribe's equivalent to royals. The Southern Water Tribe isn't the colony of the Northern Water Tribe in this story but - gasp - an actual tribe, but the position of chieftain is hereditary and/or something an individual earns through merit, nor is their small village in AtLA large enough for as many boats as seen leaving the Southern Water Tribe to fight the Fire Nation in AtLA meaning Hadoka doesn't just have authority over that small village.

These are of course things that got retconned in the comics and LoK in favor of making the Southern Water Tribe a colony of the Northern Water Tribe, having the chieftain elected via vote rather than how many indigenous peoples selected their chieftains prior to European influence as well as the buildings after reconstructing the Southern Water Tribe having a definite European aesthetic to them that feels out of place.

While I'm ignoring the retcons from the comics and LoK, I am utilizing in addition to OCs characters from the comics for the story.

Word Count

- Chapter 1 ~ 1,071
- Chapter 2 ~ 2,075 - The 2k mark is towards the end of the second chapter.
- Chapter 3 ~ 3,244
- Chapter 4 ~ 4,654
- Chapter 5 - 5,809
- Chapter 6 - 7,173
- Chapter 7 - 8,638 - The 8k mark is towards two-thirds of the way through the seventh chapter.
- Chapter 8 - 9,688
- Chapter 9 - 11,366
- Chapter 10 - 12,730
- Chapter 11 - 14,045
- Chapter 12 - 15,418
- Chapter 13 - 16,796
- Chapter 14 - 18,074
- Chapter 15 - 19,081
- Chapter 16 - 20,216 - The 20k mark is towards the end of chapter sixteen.
- Chapter 17 - 21,248
- Chapter 18 - 21,815 FIN!