Endings and Beginnings

"Apologies for the inconvenience."

Iroh made a quick bow to Hakoda, the husband of—

"No, the widower of Lady Kiya, the one who helped me secure a healer, Hama, for Zuko in the first place."

"No. Don't," Hakoda said, sitting on the fur pelts near Iroh, but he'd not left Iroh's side since Bato, a warrior close to the head chieftain, fetched him to the council building, Dun as well. He let out a deep breath. "It is actually some relief to know what Kiya was doing the last day beyond her going and helping people in our village. But..."

Iroh wanted the man's face to falter.

"That a man would do such a thing to his own son?" Hakoda shook his head. "Bato is tracking down who knows what about Prince Zuko, of him being brought here, but hopefully Rarlak's actions in bringing the boy here don't result in Fire Lord Ozai finding out he's here."

"You still don't have to continue offering us sanctuary because of the intent from the beginning..."

Hakoda held up his hand. "Katara honestly had no idea what kind of marriage pact she'd be forging when she gave your nephew her necklace—my mother and I couldn't either, but her actions mean Zuko is my future son-in-law, which places him under my protection. It's not the ideal situation. Also, I'm reevaluating the idea of keeping a strong-willed daughter locked up, although she understands that her movements are best limited for Zuko's sake right now."

"She's anxious to see him?"

"Not until Hama gives the all clear, but given how fond Hama is of the boy, something that surprises me, it will likely have to wait. Might do Katara some good, but the reality is, it's now Zuko I can't let wander freely around the village without some kind of escort for his safety, and they certainly can't make a huge scene of their relationship yet."

"And you're fine with this?"

"When Gilak can see this as a political advantage for us here at the South Pole, one the Fire Lord will not like as it shifts things in our favor, yet he also sees how this means we can't proceed with how things have been going?"

"Huh. You wax philosophical."

"Kiya did not marry me for my strength. She always said that was a bonus to the wisdom in this head of mine, something Sokka might have so much that it causes trouble, his sister as well."

"Well, tell that to Zuko. But then, on top of thinking girls don't like that, he's not very convinced of his own strength."

"Well, I'd like to see what Sokka and I can do regarding that. Bato, as well. Even if this hadn't happened, my daughter hadn't given the boy her necklace; I'd still like to think I'd have lent you and your nephew a helping hand."

"You have mine and my crew's greatest gratitude."

"They're the ones you pass off as your merchants on the ships, but the ship they use isn't the one you came here on?"

"No, that is hidden so as to not alarm, Dun having helped with that. It's not ideal, that kind of ship being stuck out here, but it will have to do for the time being."

"We may need it, but right now, the children should rest and enjoy the peace while they can."

"Yes. Yes indeed."