Healing Touch

The burning anger—Kya didn't think anything could quell the anger she felt upon seeing the child lying there; his face burned, particularly after the anger grew upon learning the one to inflict the pain upon the child was the child's own father.

"I'd heard some of the men in our tribe talk about the Fire Nation not being human, but there must be some truth to what they say, given this is the handiwork of the Fire Lord himself."

As she waited with the boy's uncle for Birmeq's return with Hama, she called out to Dun. "Please, can you bring some water? Both for the boy to drink as well as cool the fever ravaging his body. Make sure everyone else is well hydrated, even fed. They've had a long journey, bringing this child to safety."

"Understood, Lady Kya," Dun said, disappearing briefly, bringing the requested water and food.

Gently, Kya dabbed a cloth into the water, carefully removing sweat from the boy's brow and neck while avoiding the burn, watching the men only take a drink as they waited. She took a deep breath. "If any of you are Fire Benders, then you need the fuel as it gets quite cold here at the South Pole."

Iroh nodded his head. "Lady Kya here is right. We do Prince Zuko no good if we don't care for ourselves."

"Then let me serve you first, General Iroh," one of the men said. "The Prince will need you most of all."

She observed the man prepare a platter of Southern Water Tribe fair, passing it to General Iroh, who took a bite, resulting in his men following suit. However, there remained some level of hesitation, for even as soldiers who'd faced battle, there existed some level of hesitation regarding the fright in front of them, a child scarred by fire, the fire their entire nation held so dear.

Kya said nothing, not wanting to make waves, instead continuing to administer a cool cloth to an overly warm brow, waiting, waiting for—

"And what Fire Nation scum shall I be healing?"

Hama loudly announced her, resulting in some of the men reaching for their swords and platters clattering, making a slight mess on the floor they would need to clean up later. Iroh lifted a hand, firmly saying, "Stop! That is not how we greet an ally; regardless of how those of the Water Tribe may see the treaty, we hold to it!"

"You hold to it?" Hama asked, glaring at Iroh as his men settled, her tongue clicking in obstinate defiance, but then—

Kya watched her mother-in-law's old friend, noting how she looked at the child lying on the bed in front of her and the disgust quite evident on the old woman's face.

"And this is why I hate the Fire Nation," Hama said, not missing a beat. "Bending accident?"

"Take that back," one of the soldiers said. "Pr..." Then he stalled, biting his tongue as Jee held his hand in front, shaking his head.

Iroh let an eyebrow go up. "I assure you, my nephew is skilled enough that this is no training accident, but if you look closer, you'll see..."

"Your nephew?" Hama snapped. "Can't you do a better job protecting your own?" She moved forward, grumbling, making the men tense as she did so. "This is why I hate the Fire Nation. Fools." She then paused, looking at the boy's face, being closer enough to see... "Is that someone's hand that brought the burn?"

Iroh bowed. "You aren't wrong. You aren't wrong to say that the Fire Nation needs to protect its own better. I should have seen this, prevented this."

"Your nephew?" Hama said. "Another family member?"

"His father, my brother."

"Then you bring the boy here because here is where he'll be safe from that man?" Hama said, clicking her tongue again and settling down beside Kya. "Perhaps not as much of a fool as I thought." She glanced at the water. "Dun, tell that boy of yours to bring me fresh, clean water, but I'll need lots of it."

"He has a name, Hama," Dun said, shaking his head.

"I know he has a name," Hama said, nodding. "Hurry, so we can better stem whatever damage my healing can't counter."

"Yes, yes. Birmeq. You heard her."

"Yes, I did."

The young man of mixed blood left the room, and Kya shook her head. "You shouldn't be so hard on him. His birth is not of his own choosing."

"I'm well aware, but the boy—he reminds me of things I'd rather not remember."

"He's not a boy anymore," Kya said, sighing.

"And what aren't you telling me," Hama said, reaching a calloused hand to brush back the child's hair. "You seem overly keen on helping this one."

"He looks to be around Sokka's age, doesn't he?" Kya said.

"That may be reason enough for you to help, my dear, but to send for me when there are others of equal skill? Who is the boy's father that they, including his uncle, wish to hide his presence here at the South Pole?"

"Would it surprise you, then, if I tell you this is the work of the Fire Lord?"

"Azulon?" Kya clicked her tongue. "He does get around, doesn't he?" Her eyes narrowed, looking at Iroh. "But that would mean he's the child of your sister, not your brother, but if I'm not mistaken, you're The Dragon of the West, famed for your fighting skill."

"If you know that particular title, then you should, I think, also be aware that my father, Fire Lord Azulon, has passed on to the spirit world?" Iroh said, not hesitating to spar Hama with words.

Hama said no more as Birmeq brought back a large bowl of water, setting it next to Hama, and she went to work, mending the burns on the boy's face, making slow progress, gently healing the child as the men watched, the curiosity evident from seeing the healing skills of a Water Bender first hand.

Kya remained by the boy's side, waiting even as the light outside started fading, indicating the start of sunset when the boy's eyes flickered open. As his eyes opened, the candle flames flickered as he inhaled, Hama letting out a gasp of discomfort, her teeth gritting together. "Fire Bending. He's a Fire Bender."

"Painted Lady," Zuko muttered, his fingers reaching up towards Kya's necklace, the candle flames still flickering, the element of fire reacting to the boy's wakening until Kya gently took his hand, calming as she did so.

"What is this Painted Lady?" Dun asked. "Lady Kya's not painted."

"She's a river spirit said to protect Jang Hui," Jee said.

"The Fire Nation has water spirits?" Birmeq asked.

"There was a time before the war," Iroh said, taking a deep breath. "That fire and water lived in harmony, but many have forgotten how this."

Kya patted Zuko's hand gently as Hama continued healing, watching him flinch as the water came near. "It's alright, dear, but..." She took a deep breath. "You must keep your Fire Bending secret, for if they find out—you simply must."

Zuko nodded, his eyes closing, his breath steadier than before, the fever quenched from the rage that occurred moments before. Hama let out a deep breath. "He is, Lady Kya, through the worst of it."

"I'm glad," Kya said, looking out the window. She took a deep breath, noting the night sky outside. "I'd best be going, as they were expecting me back before dark to celebrate the men having returned from a successful hunt, or at least I hope the hunt's successful."

"Be safe, Lady Kya," Iroh said. "May the spirits be with you."

"You as well," she said, leaving the ministry building. Outside, she took a deep breath, taking in the cold night air of the South Pole. "I hope they can adapt to the differences between here and their home."

She started walking, her hands tucked into the sleeves of her robe, knowing Hadoka would not be pleased regarding her absence, worried about nothing.

Or so she thought until she felt something pierce her body, her eyes going down to where someone stabbed her from behind, piercing all the way through, her fingers coming away with blood. She took in a deep breath or tried to do so shakingly. "Oh dear."

And then, she collapsed, not seeing the one who struck her down.