Zuko

The smell of herbs lingered around the boxes being offloaded from the Fire Nation merchant ship, but right before lifting the box, Zuko took a deep breath, taking in the smell that he'd come to find just as relaxing as the smell of the herbs having been made into a tea in his uncle's shop.

Rubbing his gloved hands together, he bent his knees down so he could lift the latest box, following after Jee as they carried the boxes back from the icy docks in the small capital village of Wolf Cove, his footsteps crunching ever so lightly on the snow as he continued to breathe in the smell of the herbs that permeated the crates.

They approached a building, newer than the others, having been built soon after he arrived with his uncle and his uncle's men after the mysterious lady and Hama saved him from his feverish about caused by the scar left by his father during the Agnai Kai, thoughts of which he pushed aside as not to make himself ill thinking of the man, instead focusing his thoughts on the man who'd proven more of a father than his own.

Heading in through a side door, Birmeq pushed the pelt curtain aside so they could enter. "I could have hired a cart, you know. I still do, given there's more shipment than you carried home."

"Lee was restless," Jee said, setting the box on a nearby counter. "So I accompanied him to pick up some of his uncle's merchandise.

Zuko did the same, then breathed into his hands, letting a small flame flicker out, only for Birmeq to clap a hand on his shoulder. "What have we said about firebending, Lee?"

"Not to do it unless I'm only around those who can be trusted," Zuko said, cutting off the small flame he'd used to warm his hands up, pulling back the hood he always covered his head with whenever he approached a merchant ship. "You and Jee are in that group, no?"

"Yes, but someone who isn't could have walked through that door at any moment," Birmeq said, shaking his head. "And don't give me that only those employed by your uncle's shop go through there. Local merchants have a frequency of using that door when they are looking for a favor from your uncle, but we've started to employ a few who don't know you're secret."

Zuko looked away, sighing.

"If I've time, I can take you to our secret spot, or Birmeq can," Jee said.

"Yes," Birmeq said, a smile spreading across his native features while his fiery eyes, indicating he shared some of the same blood as Jee and Zuko, twinkled. "I actually find your firebending quite pleasant to watch, like a dance."

"Ugh," Zuko said, shaking his head. "And that's why I could never match up with Azula."

"Power isn't everything," Jee said.

"Yes. So Uncle says," Zuko said, letting out a laugh, heading further in, watching his uncle preparing the various teas he served within his shop while serving the woman from the village.

"I can never get my teas quite like yours, Mushi," the woman, a frequent customer, said, batting her eyes.

"Yes, well, I'm very learned in the matter," Iroh said.

"More like certain customers enjoy the way you butter them up with compliments," Hama said, causing Zuko to bite his bottom lip, holding back a laugh. She then noticed Zuko, and waved him over. "Lee! Come here!"

"Yes, Aunt Hama," he said, having grown accustomed to calling her that as she'd remained a fixture since healing him, resulting in a scar that at first glance didn't look like someone took their hand directly to his face, yet he still needed to remain careful if anyone from the Fire Nation came in, ducking out.

"How are you feeling today?" she asked, tugging the robes she'd made in the tradition of her tribe, only to die them a lovely crimson as that went better with his complexion yet also made him be mistaken for a child of mixed heritage when out on the streets, rumors following as individuals wondered precisely who his parents were, and what kind of relationship he held to Hama herself. "For her sake," she'd once said, "I'll do what I must to keep you protected, but you must at all costs remain safe, under the radar here."

"Fine, Aunt Hama," he glanced at his Uncle as the customer pouted.

"How come you get to flirt with Mushi and his nephew," the customer chided.

"My nephew, not just Mushi's," Hama said. "And I don't flirt with him." And yet, Zuko noticed how the two would sit at night, listening to Iroh's men play music, now accompanied by Birmeq and sometimes Birmeq's adopted parents, Dun, and his wife, with their own instruments; the two elders would drink tea and play paisho, acting very much, at least in Zuko's mind, like a couple.

He shook his head. The customer called out. "When shall I have the chance to taste one of your teas again, Lee, sweet Lee?"

Zuko flinched, looking at the ground. "I'm not sweet. I'm Fire Nation. We burn and destroy everything around us. Nothing good can come..." He shook his head, smiling at the woman, feeling more at home in his uncle's shop than he ever had at the royal palace. "I'm still learning. My teas can't compare to uncles."

"But I'm wishing to bring my daughter along one day," the woman said, clicking her tongue.

"Told you," Hama said, shaking her head, keeping her words under her breath as she tugged on Zuko's robes. "They come here to flirt, but if you're not careful, dear boy, you're next." He glanced over at Jee and Birmeq, who didn't hide their amusement, making Zuko wish to click his tongue and remind Jee he'd been taking amusement at the plight of a superior officer, yet didn't.

"Take no offense, Prince Zuko," Jee said once. "I'm simply glad my prince is alive and well, able to have a chance at a somewhat normal childhood, at least for now. From what I've heard from your uncle, you deserve as much."

"But I don't. I didn't do anything," Zuko said, shaking his head.

"Telling the Fire Lord we soldiers that we are more than mere pawns—that means a lot to those of us who know, but I think you'll understand better once you're older."

Something pressed into his chest, bringing his attention back to Hama. Turning his head, he took the hot water bottle made from a bladder from her, slipping it into her robes as she whispered under her breath. "Go. Spend your day outside like a normal boy, albeit not in the fishing boats or out hunting."

"Word isn't that some of the merchants are stopping by?" Zuko asked. "That they might..."

"No, no. Not today. It's a nice day out, the weather not too bleak for one such as you, but be sure to keep your hands warm, tucked into the sleeves of your robe, but that hot water bottle—come back if it starts getting cold, Lee."

"Yes, ma'am," he said, heading out.

"Oh. But he won't ever improve his tea enough for my daughter to try, Hama, if you keep sending the dear away from your shop."

"Never you mind, Kasah. What would your husband say if he knew you were trying to arrange a marriage for one of your daughters with an outsider, particularly with him wanting to arrange a marriage with your eldest son to the daughter of the head chieftain."

"Yes, well, we know Hama's been a thorn in that adventure of ours," Kasah said, letting out a hiss.

"Ladies, ladies," Iroh said, lifting his hands up. "It doesn't hurt for her daughter to be treated like the lady she is by someone other than..."

"Enough, Mushi. You know..."

Zuko took that as his cue to leave, shaking his head at their antics, wishing he could go to their secret spot, the one Hama found for them so he could bend, even though they still insisted someone keep an eye out lest someone find the secret place.