Chapter 47

Anthi 

The time has come for me to drive to his apartment without him. I think of those moments when I would walk in and feel his presence near me.

I parked the car and approached his door, holding the key in my hands.

I've always loved that detail of wood as wallpaper in his living room. It matched the fireplace that I loved sitting next to. And his arms hugging me affectionately. I took a walk around the place and snorted as the memories hit again like a dream one after the other. There was a large wooden chest next to his bed which I had never opened. Since he wasn't here to stop me by taking me in his arms, I hesitantly approached the trunk and squatted down on the floor.

When I opened it, I saw various tools and knives, half of them were steel and heavy. Inside them was a large beige box tied with a red ribbon and a card in the middle with my name on it. I was surprised. But I let my tears flow because he knows how much I love gifts. I removed the ribbon and when I opened it I saw a beautiful black dress with strapless tulle and silver rhinestones on the neckline that sparkled quite a bit. It was gorgeous.

Inside the box was a note. I grabbed it straight away and read it.

You've proven to me that they look better on you when you wear them in front of me than when I imagine you in them. Maybe because you are perfect in your way and every imagination limits your true perfection.

I love you,

Peter.

My sobs didn't let me hear the rain falling outside. I hugged the dress and let myself break down for one more time.

Sylvie

"Can I see her?" I asked the same nurse who updated me yesterday about Nancy's condition.

"Yes but not for long. You may go now." the nurse said and made room for me to pass into the room.

"Thanks." I walked in, holding her red leather jacket with her cell phone in my hands.

I approached the bed. She was sleeping peacefully. Her hair was to the side and her cheeks were red. I admit it. I didn't want to disturb her. She may have made my life hell but I respect my past with her. Just as I was about to turn to leave, she opened her big gray eyes and looked at me.

I froze.

"Good morning how are you;" I murmured.

"I've been better," she said in a slightly raspy voice.

I noticed the IV on her right hand and felt sorry for her. I feel guilty because what happened to her,  happened because she saved me. I'm trying to understand how Nancy, a woman who is so dedicated to her job, could endanger me and I am supposed to be her enemy.

Or am I not?

"Nancy, why did you do that?" I asked her and took a step forward.

"Which of all again?" she asked and rolled her eyes.

"You saved me. Why? I'm supposed to be against what you're doing."

She glared at me, tiredly and then sat up on the bed. "So you wonder how this bitch who brought this disaster to your half-human relationship, managed to save you from an accident," she said with a wry smile.

I lowered my gaze without saying anything,  -since she knew what I was thinking.

She turned her head hesitantly. "Because I can't hate you."

My eyes went wide to hers. "What?"

She took a deep breath. I could tell that this conversation was not particularly easy for her.