Mori Ogai | The Employ

As you left the food truck with your crepe, you saw a man walking along a crowded street with a little girl. The man looked very familiar to you, and for whatever reason, you couldn't look away. You started walking in the same direction, trying to get a better look at the handsome stranger.

As you got closer to the man, the little girl next to him noticed you. She stared at you with an angry scowl before shouting. 

"HEY! WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT!?"

You were taken aback by her and realized you probably shouldn't be staring. But who was this girl to undermine you? You felt a wave of anger wash over you and yelled back. 

"MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!"

The angry exchange immediately gained the attention of those around you, including the handsome stranger. His deep eyes narrowed as he stared you down, clearly not impressed with your attitude. You felt that heat creeping up your cheeks again; why was he looking at you like that?

The little girl scoffed and yelled again, this time in a full rage. 

 "EXCUSE ME!? SAY THAT AGAIN." This little kid was getting on your nerves and you couldn't control it anymore. 

Before you could think you charged at the kid, and to your surprise, she charged back. You couldn't believe it! She made you drop your delicious crepe! You then used your ability, which let you control the air around you with your scythe. It materialized in your hands and you swiped it down. The air shot in a straight line across the sidewalk right at the girl, making cement fly into the air. And at this, she was flung into a tree behind her. You smirked at her cry but to your amazement, she quickly recovered and flew at top speed right at you. You were so shocked you barely had time to react. 

As the little girl hit your scythe and bounced backward, you couldn't help but be impressed by her tenacity, so she was also gifted. Although she was clearly outmatched, you had to admit she was brave to stand up to you. You could only imagine how furious the girl's father must be at the moment. And the handsome stranger...he still just stood there, watching your battle with this child, his wide eyes glinting in amazement. You wondered what he was thinking.

Controlling the air around you, you made the girl fly into the ground with a hard thud. Your scythe was light in your hands as you waved it up, at this, the girl shot up into the sky. "AHH STOP IT! NO FAIR!" She whined, shooting straight at you once more.

The girl shot towards you with a loud yell, and you were impressed once more by her courage. You held your scythe up, ready to block her, when you heard a voice in front of you. 

"That's enough," the handsome stranger said firmly. You turned to face him and froze...his eyes were full of anger. He grabbed the girl just as she was about to attack once again and turned to you as she struggled in his arms. "I have to admit, I am quite impressed by your power, usually I would just kill you for even trying to attack my Elise, but..." He paused, seemingly in deep thought.

The handsome stranger's voice had a coldness to it that chilled you to your core. "But?" you asked, feeling slightly intimidated as he held the child close to his chest. As the little girl struggled, he kept a firm grip, not letting her try to attack you again. You felt yourself growing nervous as the man's intense stare bore into you.

"Have we met?" His mood snapped into a charming smile, a warm glow filled his eyes which startled you even more, how did he do that? Soon you started to regret your actions deeply.

"Uhhh no, I don't believe so!" You stuttered, embarrassment flooding your vision.

"Oh, my apologies, I must have confused you with someone else..."