Chapter 3

As Shubman's first IPL match approached, excitement bubbled within him, but so did nerves. Being picked up by KKR was a dream come true, and seeing the pride in his father's eyes after the auction only added to his anticipation.

But amidst the excitement, Shubman couldn't shake off the feeling of apprehension. The IPL was a whole different ball game, and being benched for the first two matches only added to his nerves.

"It's a big stage, Shubman, but I have faith in you," his father reassured him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Just go out there and give it your all."

Finally, the day of his debut match arrived, and as fate would have it, KKR's opponent was none other than MI – a formidable team with some of the best players in the league.

Shubman knew he had to be prepared, so he did his homework on the MI team, studying their strengths and weaknesses. That's when he came across Ishan Kishan, a player he knew of from their days in the Under-16 teams.

"I remember Ishan from those days," Shubman mused to himself. "He was a force to be reckoned with."

In their under-16 days, Shubman Gill and Ishan Kishan's paths crossed sporadically, as they belonged to different teams within the same age group. Shubman was a promising batsman in Team B, while Ishan commanded respect and fear as a fierce striker for Team A. Their encounters during matches were always intense, with Ishan's aggressive batting style often putting Team B's bowlers on the back foot.

However, their acquaintance took a sour turn during one particularly contentious match. Shubman was sidelined due to injury, leaving him unable to participate. As the game progressed, tensions ran high between the two teams, culminating in a heated altercation. In the chaos that ensued, Shubman's best friend and Team B's wicketkeeper suffered a serious injury, allegedly caused by Ishan's batting.

Rumors swirled that Ishan had deliberately swung his bat with malicious intent, leading to the unfortunate injury. Despite Ishan's vehement denials and assurances of it being an accident, the belief in Team B was steadfast – Ishan was to blame. Shubman, not present to witness the incident firsthand, trusted the word of his teammates and accepted their version of events.

So Shubman disliked Ishan without any personal reason.Although they never even talked properly.

The day of the match came,and MI winning the toss,choose the fielding first.During the batting,Shubman was out at 49,that too by Ishan.He was so disappointed and sad,he returned to the dogout with teary eyes.When he returned one of his team mate asked,
"Is Ishan Kishan your friend? "
"No,Why?" Asked Shubman surprised.
"Well,He is the first one,I mean he initiated the appreciation clap for you"

On the day of the match, as the sun beat down on the cricket ground, tensions ran high among the players. MI won the toss and elected to field first, putting KKR under pressure to put up a solid batting performance.

As Shubman stepped up to the crease, determination etched on his face, he knew the weight of the match rested on his shoulders. With each swing of the bat, he fought valiantly, inching closer to his half-century.

But fate had other plans. On the cusp of reaching his milestone, Shubman fell short, dismissed at 49 runs by none other than Ishan Kishan. Disappointment washed over him as he trudged back to the dugout, his heart heavy with regret.

His teammates noticed the dejection written all over Shubman's face, and one of them couldn't help but comment, "Is Ishan Kishan your friend?"

Surprised by the question, Shubman shook his head. "No, why do you ask?"

"Well, he was the first one to initiate the appreciation clap for you," his teammate revealed, a note of admiration in his voice.

Shubman's eyes widened in disbelief. Despite their distant acquaintance and past tensions, Ishan's gesture of sportsmanship touched Shubman deeply, reminding him that even in the heat of competition, respect and camaraderie could transcend rivalries.

MI won the match.

As the match ended with MI winning, Shubman felt comforted by the praise he received for his batting performance from critics and senior players. Despite his disappointment at missing his half-century, the compliments helped lift his mood.

Later, when Shubman watched the match highlights, he noticed,as he walked back to the dugout after being dismissed, head downcast, Ishan Kishan unexpectedly applauded him, followed by the rest of the MI team and the crowd. It was a moment of respect and unity that contradicted the rumors Shubman had heard about Ishan's behavior.

Confused by Ishan's unexpected gesture, Shubman reached out to an old friend from their under-16 days. Sharing the details of the match and Ishan's applause, Shubman expressed his bewilderment.

"I don't get it, Ishan's actions were so out of character," Shubman confessed, unsure of what to make of it.

His friend shrugged. "Ishan? Yeah, he's always been a bit distant. Don't overthink it, mate. He might just be seeking attention."

Shubman frowned, feeling even more puzzled. The difference between Ishan's rumored attitude and his behavior on the field left Shubman with unanswered questions and mixed feelings. Was Ishan's applause genuine, or was it just a show? Only time would tell.