ch 3. I think I know you

"Nat, look! I got first grade in all my exams!" My sister's voice broke through my reverie, but my mind remained elsewhere. "Hey bro, can't you hear me? I'm showing you my report," she pouted, her disappointment palpable. "Sorry, love. Wow, I'm so proud of you!" I exclaimed, finally focusing on the report displayed on the screen. I embraced my beautiful sister, her radiant smile filling my heart with joy, momentarily pushing aside my own troubles.

My younger sister, Bruna, battles sickle cell disease, a diagnosis we received when she was just five years old. Our lives have revolved around hospitals ever since, a struggle compounded by the loss of our father in a car accident. At sixteen, I assumed the mantle of responsibility alongside my mother, shouldering the burden of caring for our family, particularly Bruna's mounting medical expenses.

Juggling multiple jobs and overtime became my norm, driven by the singular determination to ensure Bruna lacked for nothing. Her presence, her fighting spirit, became my lifeline, saving me from the brink of despair two years ago on that fateful night. I owe her my life.

"Nathaniel, my handsome brother," Bruna's tearful gaze pierced through my façade of strength, "What's wrong? You've been distant lately. I thought seeing me excel would make you happy. I study hard, take my medicine, all to see you smile. But I don't see it, Phi. What's troubling you?"

Her words cut through me, a painful reminder of the burden I carried alone. I couldn't burden her with the weight of my darkest secret, couldn't expose my vulnerability. "Don't worry, Bruna. I'm okay, just tired from work," I lied, meeting her gaze with a practiced mask of reassurance.

Reluctantly, we retreated indoors, the chill of the evening driving us back into the warmth of our home. I retreated to my room, seeking solace in the temporary respite of sleep, haunted by recurring nightmares that refused to release their grip.

As morning dawned, I emerged from fitful slumber, the remnants of the nightmare still clinging to my consciousness like a curse. Desperate to shake off the lingering unease, I showered and joined my family for breakfast. My mother's concerned gaze lingered on my gaunt frame, urging me to eat, but the weight of my burdens made even the simplest tasks feel insurmountable.

Heading out, lost in my thoughts, I barely registered the commotion until it was too late. Pulled from the path of an oncoming vehicle, I found myself entangled with a stranger, our eyes locking in a moment of shared surprise. Grateful, I stammered out a thank you before retreating in haste.

From a distance, I sensed his curious gaze following me, a nagging sense of familiarity tugging at the edges of my consciousness. Yet, I dismissed the notion, unable to reconcile the presence of such a refined and striking figure with my humble surroundings.

Though the day passed in a blur of routine, his image lingered in my mind, a puzzle I couldn't quite solve.