• t h r e e •

CAROL HINES, THE ARMY SURGEON, WHO WAS LAST SEEN IN ALKALI LAKE, UNLOCKED HER FRONT DOOR AND STEPPED INSIDE HER HOME. SHE LOOKED EXHAUSTED, WITH DEEP CIRCLES UNDER HER EYES. SHE PUT HER KEYS ON A TABLE BY THE DOOR, AND THEN LOOKED UP, STARTLED, WHEN SHE HEARD SHRIEKING.

Hines, who was very nervous, advanced into her dark kitchen. She flicked on the lights. A red kettle on the stove top whistled. A mug waited on the counter.

"Pour yourself a cup of tea." Hines spun around. Logan sat at the kitchen table, a cigar in his mouth. Grace was sitting beside him, her nose buried inside a comic book. "It's gonna be a long night."

The trio sat at the table. Logan smoked his cigar, Grace read her comic and Hines clutched her mug of tea with trembling hands. Grace watched her, quickly glancing up from her comic book. "Careful, doc." Grace warned her, not missing a word on the page. "I can smell a lie. I can hear it. Maybe you start to sweat a little bit. Maybe the pitch of your voice changes. But I'll know." Grace then looked over at Hines. "And I'll send you to the gates of Hell."

Logan slowly turned to Grace, who's blank expression turned into a creep smile, aimed at Hines. "Tell me about Creed."

Hines opened her mouth, closed it, and then opened it again. "I can't.." Hines said. "Please... you don't know what they'll do to me."

"Nope." Logan nodded his head. "But I know exactly what we'll do to you." He quickly glanced at Grace, who was back reading her comic book.

Hines stared at Logan, then to Grace, and then back to Logan. "I don't believe you." She shook her head. "She's a child. And you, you're different than they are. You wouldn't hurt an innocent person."

Grace burst out laughing. "You're not innocent, Doc."

Logan leaned forward, his forearms on the table. "What does Victor Creed have to do with the Weapon X program?"

"It's not the Weapon X program, it's the Weapon Ultra program." Hines watched as Grace placed her comic book on the table, fully listening in now. "Started 65 years ago. They've been trying to make the perfect soldier for a long time. First to fight the Nazis. Then the Communists. Now it's mutants."

"So, where does Weapon X fit in?" Logan asked as Hines closed her eyes, taking a deep breathe.

"You don't understand." She shook her head. "X is a letter, but it's also a Roman Numeral. Weapon 'Ex' is a nickname. Officially, you're Weapon Ten. Victor Creed is Weapon Nine." She took a moment, unsure how the two mutants in front of her would take the news. "Grace, she's Weapon 144." Grace and Logan glanced at each other. "Both of you, and Victor, you're experiments...prototypes. The final product is almost ready. Weapon 11."

Logan's face darkened as the extent of his betrayal became clear to him. "Creed works for Stryker." Hines nodded at him. "He ordered it. He ordered Creed to kill her."