• t h i r t y •

• this chapter will be very short as it's the last chapter before Days of Future Past. If this was a movie, think of this chapter as the post credit scene 😂 •

*****

ACROSS THE SKYLINE, BUILDINGS HAD BEEN DESTROYED. WINDOWS SHATTERED. STREETS DESERTED. THE ONLY FORM OF LIFE BESIDE THE KREMLIN WAS THE SOUND OF A GROUP OF PEOPLE RUNNING. BUT THEY WEREN'T ANY NORMAL PEOPLE, THEY WERE THE X-MEN.

One of the newer members, James 'Warpath' Proudstar stopped, letting the rest of them run ahead for a moment. He cocked his head, ears perked up, he has super hearing. He heard the distant sound of the hum. "Maverick!" He tried to shout to her without alerting the enemy. Maverick and the rest of them stopped, turning back to the young guy. "They're coming."

Maverick looked around at the group of X-Men; Pyro, Gambit, Sunfire, Iceman, Rogue, Jubilee, Shadowcat, Nightcrawler, Colossus and the newest members, Warpath, Clarice 'Blink' Ferguson and Lucas Bishop.

"Blink." Maverick said to her. "Open a portal." Blink nodded her head. She took out her dagger, throwing it. She made a portal surrounded by purple psionic power. "Let's go!" Maverick called out as she made her fellow members jump into the portal.

Before she could go herself, a large black drill came through one of the last remaining buildings. Maverick manipulated two daggers in her hand as Pyro lit up his flamethrower. Iceman was beside them, whole body covered in ice.

Maverick threw the two daggers, hitting the Sentinel right between it's two mechanical eyes. Another one appeared and Pyro made a fireball, throwing it at the sentinel. Every time they'd destroyed a sentinel, another two would appear.

"Go, now!" Maverick shouted, shoving Iceman through the portal. She looked at Pyro, who nodded. "All of you."

"Are you crazy?" Sunfire shouted.

"We'll keep them off your backs for a little while." Pyro reassured them. "Come back and find us in a couple of days."

"Go." Maverick begged them.

"Gracie." Before another sentinel could arrive, Pyro grabbed Maverick's hand. While her hands were in Pyro's, her attention was set on the area the sentinels were coming from. "Look at me." He used his free hand to pull her face closer to him. "I love you. You're going to be okay."

Maverick looked wide-eyed at him. Before she could reply, he let go of her hand and pushed her through the portal. As she fell through to the other side, she was caught by Nightcrawler and Gambit. "John? John!" Maverick shouted as she tried to jump back to the other side, but Gambit held on tightly to her. She watched as Pyro lit his flamethrower, smiling one last time at her. "JOHN, NO!" Maverick screamed as Blink closed the portal.

Jubilee held Shadowcat's hand tightly, while Rogue wiped away the few tears Iceman had. They had just lost their friend.

Maverick had reached the ground, her breath coming in searched gasps. John was just on the other side of the portal, Maverick thought. Blink could make it reappear.

Maverick had started to sprint to where the portal once was, but Gambit grabbed her around the chest, holding her tight. "There's nothing you can do, Cherie-"

"Get him!" Maverick screamed. She turned to look at Blink, who had a tear fall down her cheek. "Put up another portal!"

"It's too late, Cherie-"

"I can still save him!" She cried out.

Maverick struggled hard and viciously, but Gambit would not let go. "There's nothing you can do, Cherie." Gambit's grip on Maverick loosened as they both fell to the ground. "He's gone."

Maverick opened her mouth and horrifying and harrowing screams came out of it.