• t h i r ty t h r e e •

GRACE OPENED HER EYES AND THERE IT WAS

GRACE OPENED HER EYES AND THERE IT WAS. TIMES SQUARE. SHE WAS LEANING AGAINST A BIG CADILLAC, WITH THE LICENCE PLATE THAT READ 'LUCKY'. THERE WERE PINK DICE HANGING FROM THE MIRROR. GRACE CHUCKLED TO HERSELF.

She looked around and saw people dressed in period clothes. She then looked down at what she was wearing; blue denim flared dungarees with a striped top underneath and a velvet feel jacket on top. To top off her outfit, she had a pair of John Lennon inspired sunglasses. She knew she looked the part in 1973.

She looked at her watch, wondering where Logan was. Grace's attention was caught when she heard some gun shots and then a woman screaming. From a building on the other side of the street, Logan emerged, wearing a leather jacket. Grace noticed he was holding a set of keys in his hands. There was a furry rabbit's foot hanging from them.

Grace whistled, gaining Logan's attention. He turned to look at her and smiled. He jogged across the street, tossing her the keys. "It worked!" Logan exclaimed as he stood across from Grace. "Holy shit, it-"

"Get it, we don't have much time." Grace ordered, getting into the driver's side. She slid the keys into the ignition, and the engine growled. As they pulled away, the radio played....

"...the 18th MP Brigade is departing from Saigon, marking the last American troops to leave Vietnam, effectively ending the war... The Peace Treaty will be signed in Paris in two days..."

**

At the Capitol Building, inside the hall, a congressional panel faced one man at the table; Dr. Bolivar Trask, sharp eyes, hard gaze, a man who was ahead of his time.

"...in light of the times, we are reviewing all defence expenditures, every black book's getting opened, and frankly we don't see a need for your program, Dr. Trask." One of the Senators spoke to him.

"As far as we can tell, these 'mutants' you describe, if they are living among us, are living peacefully." Another senator interjected.

"For now." Trask told them.

"We haven't had an incident in over ten years." The Senator reminded Trask. "We're talking about a tenth of a tenth of the population-"

"That could rise up at any time against the rest of us. But don't take my word for it. Take theirs." Trask pulled out a thick report. "Thus was acquired by our friends at the CIA. It's a dissertation written by a mutant at Oxford University. Allow me to read you a couple lines about the last time we experienced a leap in evolution." As he opened the report, the author on the title page was Charles Xavier. "'To Homo Neanderthalensis, his mutant cousin Homo Sapiens was an aberration. Peaceful cohabitation, if ever it existed, was short-lived, followed by the immediate extinction of their less evolved kin.'" He closed the report. "We are the Neanderthals now."