Ch - 16

"Little fellow, I'm sorry for putting you through this, interrogating you just as you arrived. Allow me to apologize." The principal Ye Kai spoke this time, his face donned with a small smile, still carefully observing Jason's expressions.

"No need to apologize, Principal." Jason cupped his hand and replied calmly while silently cursing in his heart. 'Old Fox! Sure know how to change the flow of the conversation. First, you ask the questions, trying to fish out information, and after you get your answer you quickly follow it with a quick apology so you will not offend a genius like me. Sure the statement had some truth: The longer ones live, the shrewder ones get!'

"Aside from asking about your master, there is one more important thing that I want to discuss with you." Ye Kai caressed his white beard and spoke solemnly.

"Please," Jason could only follow the flow since he was just acting, revealing himself in this situation would have brought harm and suspicion upon him.

Ye Kai coughed and said. "Young man, your talent is unprecedented in the history of Glory City. With your talent, it would be a waste for you to study at Holy Orchid Institute, with not a single teacher worthy enough to teach you. Our institute had special reservations for geniuses like you. How about I give you the position of an honorable teacher?"

Yang Xin was started, watching Ye Kai in shock. The title of the Honorable Teacher was very noble with only one more person receiving such an honor in thousands of years. But at that point, that fellow was already an old man with a head full of white hair.

"Thank you for your offer but I've to refuse. I still have to focus on my cultivation and reach the next level in alchemy and Inscriptions. I don't have so much free time."

Jason cursed at the two old foxes. 'Want to use this nonsense to keep an eye on me? Hmph! do you guys take me for a fool or something?'

Ye Kai and Ye Shuo's eyes lit up with a light but it was concealed deeply. Sharing a look secretly, Ye Kai smiled.

"No need to be in such a hurry, young man. There are many benefits of being an honorable teacher and as for time, you only have to teach a class two times a week. In return, you can use all the resources in the Glory City with the institute paying for them"

Jason's wavered after hearing such a great deal. Even though he had many precious herbs but all the weapons, he found in the ruins had turned into garbage due to the flow of the time. Also, there were few more resources, mostly common that he needed in large quantities and could only be found in the city.

"I agree but I've some conditions," Jason replied after contemplating gains and losses.

"What conditions?"

"First: As you said I'll only provide lessons two times a week and it'll not change for anything."

"We've no problem with that." Ye Kai nodded his head.

"Second: I'll only teach a few numbers of selected students personally chosen by me."

Ye Kai was a little taken aback by his second question, asking. "But isn't it best to teach an entire class rather than wasting time to select suitable students from thousands of candidates?"

"I understand your concern but let me ask you instead what will happen if the power goes into the wrong hands or if the dark-hearted person will gain power beyond imagination..." Jason stared into their eyes, his gaze deep and serious. He sighed and his cold voice echoed. "It will only result in destruction and harm."

"Even though hundreds of people admitted into the institute but I can guarantee that even if we search now, kind and good-hearted people can still be counted very easily."

Casting a look over all the faces, Jason continued. "My master once said that young people are easy to be swayed or corrupted if they are given or gifted a power beyond their reach. It will not improve the situation but further downgrade it, bringing harm to common people... I never claim myself to be a good person and I can also do extreme things if pushed too far but at least I'm a responsible person who knows the difference between right from wrong."

"But it wasn't true for all the young people especially those from powerful or influential families. The children from noble families are exposed to power from such a young age with a rare few exceptions of course and that is why they consider themselves superior to common people. Such children are also exposed to discrimination which results in them committing crimes while being backed by their families. Even you guys have seen such cases in the Glory City in the past. Most of the time, the victims were either silenced by threatening them or bribing them."

"Now, tell me if I let such people gain the profound knowledge then can you guys take the responsibility? Because I know I can't. I don't believe in justice but I also don't want to harm any innocent."

The last sentence was spoken in a usual loud voice.

That sentence consisted of Jason's soul power mixed within jolting everyone, their mind shook, like someone had hammered on the top of their head.

Even Principal Ye Kai who was calm until now was startled by his skill.

Nodding his head, he replied. "Indeed! Young master Nie Li is right. Your insight is indeed greater than mine."

The change in address caused a great shock to Ye Shuo, Ye Sheng, and Yang Xin. Principal Ye Kai was a great senior from the same generation as Ye Mo, slightly more respected than Gu Yan. For him to address a young man as 'Young Master', one could imagine the result.

"A skill that can shake the mind of a Black Gold-ranked expert. If someone from Dark Guild learns it, then Glory City is doomed." Ye Shuo sucked a cold breath, his eyes filled with dread.

Yang Xiu asked curiously. "Then how will you select the students?"

"Determination, Hard work, and Character. My master once told me that with these three, one can achieve anything, even defeating heaven's chosen genius."

"Well, determination and hard work, we understand but what about the character?" Yang Xin said.

Everyone else also listened attentively.

"It's also important. What if a person has both the first but his character is rotten? Such a person is even more dangerous than a typical noble young master. Let me tell you an example, What if a person seeks vengeance? He or she will go to any length to achieve that with that feeling of revenge fueling them. At the end of the road, he will have two choices. First: After enacting revenge, he will return to peace with his heart which is rare. But by that point, he would become detached from the world, reaching a profound level. Second: Once he or she tasted revenge with the newfound power, his or her soul will be corrupted by that power, turning into a monster. And I have seen many of the second types." Jason sighed heavily, remembering some bitter memories from his past. One of the fellow assassins in the organization turned to the second type, almost turning into a serial killer, massacring dozens of women and girls.

//

Want to read more chapters now, check out my Patreon at: https://www.patreon.com/CapsK