- Eight -

I had brought the gem home, and hid it away in the closet. It was up on the top shelf, hidden away in an old shoe box, so I figured it would be fine. I knew I couldn't show it to Alex or else he'd get suspicious.

Speaking of Alex, we were supposed to have a date night tonight, but he was still at work. He was late, which was weird because he usually never lets work keep him long after his clock out time.

Just as I'm about to go and text him, the door opens. I look up and see Alex looking upset, muttering to himself as he locked the door behind him.

"Hey, babe. You feeling okay?" I ask, walking up to him and helping him take his coat off.

Alex sighs softly. "It was a bad day at work. We were supposed to have this shipment of our products come in, but they never came so we had a hell of a day."

He then looks up at me and allows a small smile to show on his face. "It sucked, but hopefully they'll turn up tomorrow."

I smile slightly and give him a small kiss. "Well, I'm sorry you had a bad day at work. We missed our dinner reservation, so I took the liberty of ordering takeout. I figured we can stay at home and watch a movie instead."

He closes his eyes. "That's right, tonight was date night. I'm so sorry, John. I totally forgot."

I shake my head. "Don't worry about it, we've both had a lot on our plates, we can still have a nice night at home."

He opens his eyes and smiles again. "Thank you, dear. What would I ever do without you?"

"You'll never have to find out." I smile at him before stepping into the kitchen. "I'll get the food ready, why don't you get in more comfortable clothes and then pick a movie."

He nods. "Sounds great."

As he walks into the other room, I take our takeout out of the fridge, putting some of it in the air fryer and some in the microwave. I choose to tidy up the kitchen a bit as I wait for the food to heat up so there wouldn't be too much to clean later.

As I'm cleaning, however, I hear Alex's voice from our room.

"Hey John? What's this?" He asks.

I look at the food and see it's still heating up so I walk into the room curiously. When I get there, I can see John holding the shoe box, the gem out in the open with the lid on the floor. I freeze, not sure what to do.

"Um.. How did you find that?" I ask.

"The shoe box wasn't there this morning, so I was curious as to what was in there." He replies. "Is this one of those gems Cyclone is looking for?"

I didn't answer at first. What was I supposed to say? I couldn't possibly reveal the real reason I had it in our closet.

"It is, isn't it. Why do you have it?" Alex asks. "Don't tell me you're still trying to stand up to Cyclone."

"I have to, Alex, you don't understand." I tell him.

"John, why don't you just give it up? You could get hurt if you keep this up, you know."

"I'll be fine, Alex. I promise I have it all under control." I assure him.

"You can't make that kind of promise, he's a dangerous man." Alex argues back. He shakes his head and grabs the lid, putting it back on. "We have to put this back where you found it, this is not our fight."

"It is my fight, though." I quickly say, causing him to stop and stare at me.

"How could this possibly be your fight? What on earth makes you involved in this?" He asks.