- Nine -

Life has been a bit easier ever since I told Alex I was Hyperion. I mean, I don't have to hide my powers around him, I don't have to lie to him anymore. He still seems unsure about all of this, but I think he's taking it better now that he’s had some time.

As for Cyclone, I haven't seen or heard from him in a while. It's like he's taking a break or something. But either way, I'm preparing for his comeback.

Right now, though, I was preparing breakfast for the day. Alex had work, so I offered to make him some pancakes before he left.

Towards the end of my batter, Alex makes his way into the kitchen, practically sleep walking to the coffee machine.

I chuckle softly. “Good morning, Alex. A little tired this morning?” I ask.

“Mmh. Conversation after coffee, Love.” He mumbles, turning the machine on as he gets everything prepared.

I nod softly. “Ah, alright. Silence until then.” I say, and finish making the pancakes. I set the plate in the middle of our table, grabbing the syrup and butter and setting them beside it. I grab a couple plates and silverware for Alex and I, and then sit down. Alex soon joins me with his freshly brewed coffee and smiles gently at me.

“Good morning, John.” He says, sipping his coffee. “Thank you for breakfast.”

“Anytime, dear.”

We start dishing up and decorating our food, and there’s a somewhat awkward silence as we do. I think Alex has been wanting to ask questions about my other identity, but he’s been holding back, as we haven’t had time to properly talk through everything. I guess now’s as good a time as ever.

“So.. We haven’t really talked about the whole.. Hyperion thing, much. You’ve got to be curious.” I mention.

He stares at me, finishing the food in his mouth. He then chuckles nervously, looking away. “It’s a little early for this..”

“Well, I know, but we haven’t had much time, and I thought maybe now would be a good time.” I say, rubbing the back of my neck slightly. “I just want you to know that I’ll answer any question you have, because I’m sure you have many.”

He shakes his head slightly. “Nope, none that I can think of.” He says.

But he was lying. I know he was. One, because he has a tell; he hesitates with his words. And two, because he’s always got questions about everything. He’s a naturally curious person, he couldn’t not have something he wanted to know.

“Really? Mr. Question-Everything doesn’t have a single question to ask me?” I ask, raising an eyebrow at him.

He sighs gently. “Look, I just.. I think I just need some more time to process everything. Believe me, there will be questions, I’m just trying to understand that my boyfriend is some superhuman.”

“I mean, I get that. It’s gotta be hard to understand my powers-”

“That and the fact that you are willingly putting yourself in danger to protect people you don’t even know from a threat you’re not even sure exists.” He says before eating more from his plate.

I frown gently. I knew he didn’t like me fighting Cyclone, and that that was going to take more getting used to. I simply nod, not sure what to say. I knew he wanted me to say I would give up, but I also knew that wasn’t an option.

“I don’t know..” He says quietly. “Part of me is so glad you told me. I mean, I hate that you had to keep that secret from me in the first place, you know? But the other part of me wishes I still didn’t know. I hate having to think about you fighting somebody with powers, wondering if you’re alright.”