Chapter 2

Early the next morning, before even most coffee places were even open, Alex found Lena asleep on the lab table. She opted to let Lena get a bit more sleep before waking her. Alex went to visit Kara and check her vitals. They were worse than when she left. With tears streaming down her face, it took all of two seconds for the red head to notice the ring on her sister's finger. She picked up her hand to hold and look at it more closely.

"You couldn't have done any better, sis. Leave it to you to pull a frickin' billionaire, philanthropist CEO for your first ever girlfriend and get a ring to boot. You need to hang in there so you can marry your woman. And so I can be your maid of honor."

Kara's heart rate spiked. Alex moved nearly as fast as Supergirl to examine her for any changes. Lena stumbled into the room at the new pattern of beeps. "What happened?"

"I don't know! I was just talking to her!"

Lena rushed to her side to watch the monitors. "What were you talking about?"

"Your future wedding. I saw the ring. I told her that she needs to survive so I can be her maid of honor."

Lena's eyes teared up. "You hear that darling? Your sister and I agree for once. We forbid you from dying. You need to wake up so I can simultaneously apologize and propose properly."

"Apologize?"

Lena looked up at Alex. "Kara and I fought. I was upset that she had to go out on duty again. I- I was horrible, Alex."

Alex pulled Lena into a fierce hug. "Kara knows how much you love her. I should be apologizing. I knew we were all asking for her to cover for us."

"B-but Alex, she went out without any sleep, thinking I was furious with her. Wh-what if she was distracted because of me? Wh-what if I caused this. I have to save her. I have to fix this."

"Lena, listen to me. This is not your fault. Kara fought as hard as she could to come home to you. She loves you so, so much. Now, we are going to go to work to save her. She is going to wake up. You are going to propose. She is going to say yes. And I'm going to be her maid of honor. Got it?"

When the women separated, they both straighten their spines and wiped away their tears. Alex instructed J'onn to cover for the DEO. Lena had James take over CatCo and Sam to run L-Corp from Metropolis. They took more blood samples and got to work. They spent hours in the lab bouncing ideas back and forth. Winn, Kelly, J'onn, M'gann, James, Brainy, and Nia all came and went throughout the day, sitting with Kara. Kelly did her best to check in on her girlfriend and Lena, but both were so immersed in their experiments to save the blonde, they barely responded. They hardly spoke to anyone besides each other.

Kara continued to worsen throughout the day. Her heart rate never spiked, and her vitals deteriorated. Alex convinced Lena to take a break while she kept working. They agreed to take shifts. Lena crawled up on the table again and laid on top of her love. Her body was shaking with sobs. She gripped the cape tightly as if it keep Kara there, as if it would prevent her from leaving this world.

"Kara, I can't survive without you. I need you. Please, love. I'm so sorry. If you stay, I promise I will be home from work by 6pm every day. I'll take time off and not work weekends. I'll- I'll do the dishes and laundry for the rest of our lives. I'll let you fly me anywhere in the world you want to go. Hell, I will sell L-Corp if that gets you to stay with me. Please, Kara, please. Don't leave me." Lena kissed the hero's cheek to seal her promises.

Kara's heart rate spiked again. Lena froze. There was something about these spikes bothering Lena. It's only happened a few times but only to with her and Alex. Lena went over it in her head. The first time was when she kissed her forehead professing her love. The second was kissing the engagement ring. The third was Alex talking about their wedding. And this time was when she kissed her cheek to promise to be a better girlfriend. Kara felt and heard them. But repeating the actions wasn't enough. It was each new thing. Lena scrambled off the table.