Chapter 11

The week crawls by as slow as molasses. Lena and Kara fall into a routine. The alarm goes off, both groan from another sleepless night, get ready, pack for each other, and head into L-Corp. Kara hasn't napped during her visits since she realized it gives Lena too much time to be lost in her own mind, and she can't have that. So, she stays up with Lena, watching her work diligently. Sometimes, she asks questions to get the woman talking, keeping her in the moment. Sometimes, they remain in complete silence, both lost and steeping in negative thoughts.

By the second week, Alex joins by phone, pitching in her own ideas, asking Lena to run additional tests. She's stuck at the DEO to help cover for Supergirl's absence. Kara's powers are returning, albeit slowly. Lena can sense the heroine's frustration growing though as more and more time passes. Instead of lazing about, Lena can hear the woman pacing like a caged animal behind her. It worries her. Kara's never had to remain on the sidelines this long. Lena worries that the frustration will spur her into something reckless.

Another week comes and goes. Kara is all but crawling out of her skin. Lena is getting frustrated with herself. They should have already figured this out. Supergirl should have already been cured and back in action.

Lena hears soft grumbling behind her. "Darling, why don't you swing by the DEO?"

Kera freezes mid-step. She couldn't contain the harshness in her voice. "Why? It's not like I can do anything...''

Lena rests her head in her hands. Her palms dig into her eye sockets as she rubs them. "You haven't seen your sister lately. Or Winn. Or J 'onn."

Kara lets out a heavy sigh. Vulnerability oozes out her tone. "I - I'm bothering you, aren't I?"

Lena shoots up in an instant and swivels her chair around to face her. "Kara, no."

"I'm becoming a burden. You took care of me and stayed by my side when I was in my coma. And now you are spending all your time trying to figure out how to fix me. You all but handed over L-Corp and Catco... I- I'm too much."

Lena rushes over to the trembling woman. Kara made sure to keep her back to Lena, unwilling to show her the tears. So, she simply wraps her arms around the superhero and holds her tight. Lena leans her forehead into Kara's back. They stay like this for a while. Occasionally Lena gently nuzzles her cheek against the woman before placing a gentle kiss. Lena waits until Kara's calmed a bit by her touch. "Darling, you could never be a burden. I love you so, so much. You know that... right?"

Kara hesitates before shakily nodding her head. She struggles to keep herself together, to keep her mind from wandering a dark path. She can't help it though. It's always the elephant in the room. She's a superhero who must constantly face life and death situations. And Lena doesn't deserve that heartache.

"Kara, baby. I need you to take a deep breath for me. Can you do that?" Lena's soft voice cuts through the runaway train of Kara's thoughts.

The blonde does her best to take a deep breath in.

"Good girl. Just keep breathing. I'm right here... and I'm not going anywhere."

Kara wonders if the woman was guessing where her mind went or if it was just a coincidence. Her body relaxes a bit more. She leans her weight into her loving fiancé. She lets herself be manhandled to be seated on the gurney. Sad and understanding green eyes flit all over her face, trying to analyze her thoughts and feelings.

"Let's go home, sweetie." Lena leans in and kisses the blonde's forehead. "Come on. We could both use a break."

Kara lets herself be guided to the waiting town car. Lena makes sure the blonde watches her head as she ducks into the back. The lets out a deep breath as she slumps into the seat and scoots over for Lena. The CEO starts to duck her own head when the sound of screeching tires overpowers the hustle and bustle of the city. Kara's brows furrow when she hears a sliding door slam open. Lena lets out a pained grunt before collapsing into someone's arms. Kara scurries to climb out, but by the time she does, the van has already started moving.